Stressed First Year Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just had a few questions...I'm a OMS I and my grades are terrible. I have B's and mostly C's. I'm pretty sure I'm ranked in the bottom 25% of the class. Although, I do have leadership roles/community service, but I'm not sure if that matters.

The problem is I'm still learning to adjust and modify my study habits and getting used to the massive amounts of information we have to learn. Any advice?

Also, I was interested in the following specialties: anesthesia, neurology, PMR, internal medicine. Based on my grades, which should I stop aiming for as I don't want to lower my expectations, but I want to be realistic. Any feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should stop aiming for any of them. You still have shot at all of them. First year grades are important to a point, specifically in very competitive specialties. But the ones you have listed are not that competitive (although keep in mind the match is becoming more competitive each year).

More importantly is that you do not fail anything. Try to get the best grades you can, if possible really try to boost your grades in 2nd year and then put in the effort to destroy Step I. Step I by far will be the piece of the puzzle that limits what you are competitive for.

Don't stress out too much, focus on finding what works for you study wise. You are still VERY early in your education. You can turn things around. Pre-clinical grades aren't of much importance. If you get good board scores, LORs, Audition rotations, and Clinical grades, there is no reason why you couldnt do any of those. Your focus your first two years should be passing and rocking boards.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I just had a few questions...I'm a OMS I and my grades are terrible. I have B's and mostly C's. I'm pretty sure I'm ranked in the bottom 25% of the class. Although, I do have leadership roles/community service, but I'm not sure if that matters.

The problem is I'm still learning to adjust and modify my study habits and getting used to the massive amounts of information we have to learn. Any advice?

Also, I was interested in the following specialties: anesthesia, neurology, PMR, internal medicine. Based on my grades, which should I stop aiming for as I don't want to lower my expectations, but I want to be realistic. Any feedback?

First things first, take a deep breath, don't panic.

Now, study habits:
Figuring out how to study and do well in the first couple years was hard for me. I had a couple turning points that really helped me do better on exams. 1. I learned how to figure out material on my own outside of lectures. 2. I found a group of 1-2 people to cram study with a couple days before exams. 3. Q Banks! Even in first year really helpful. 4. Everyone studies their own way, you'll find something for you

Finally, specialties:
It might not feel like it, but you have plenty of time and experiences ahead of you to help pick a specialty. Don't worry about tomorrow's problems today, it won't solve anything, and will probably just stress you out more and hurt you. All of the specialties you mentioned are within reach. Do your best to get a handle on studying now, so you can rock the boards and be a bad ass on rotations.

Bonus:
As far as community service/ leadership roles go- if you enjoy them and find them to be rewarding then keep it up. Studying is draining, finding ways to maintain sanity is key. Plus it won't hurt your residency application.

TL;DR
Don't freak out, this stuff is hard enough without putting pressure on yourself about what specialties you can't do anymore because you failed an anatomy quiz.

Don't worry too much about it. First and second year grades don't count too much. I think you just have to find your study groove. And the specialties you are interested in are not too competitive.

I'll give you some hints on how I got through first year without too much problem:

- skip classes
- get notes from a buddy
- study the notes
- do practice questions <-- this is key

Anyways, I wrote a bit about study strategies which you can find here:

http://www.medicalschoolsuccess.com/studying-in-medical-school/

All of those are within reach hang in there.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the positive feedback.

I just have to keep calm and study on and hopefully turn my C's into B's.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

I just have to keep calm and study on and hopefully turn my C's into B's.

You need to KCCO

But seriously, no worries. First year sucks. Second year is a lot more interesting with systems. Also, how do you know that you enjoy those fields? You need actual exposure either in a systems course or during a rotation. You might get to a certain rotation or class only to realize you dont enjoy it like you thought you had. The opposite is true too that you might end up loving something you had not even considered before

Talk to older students at your school. You would be amazed at the # of older students willing to help

Keep your chin up, at the end of the day you will be fine:)

I like these specialties because I have shadowed physicians in those fields and am in the student interest groups for those specialties. Obviously I wont know what specialty until I rotate but I don't think I should worry about that now. Haha as I was typing I realized that.

So what study techniques work for students? I know it's highly individualized but trial and error helps.

Last edited:
If you panic and don't give that final push during the last stretch, it will adversely affect your grade. It's easy to get overwhelmed but remember you are being tested on multiple choice questions and you just need to look at it once to recognize the answer. The difference between A and B grades is just paper-thin difference, IMO.

More importantly, try to study a little everyday and focus on learning the materials as best as you can. If you get stressed out, make sure you get enough sleep and exercise regularly. Good luck.

Last edited:
If you get stressed out, make sure you get enough sleep and exercise regularly. Good luck.

:thumbup: Balance is key.

Get enough sleep and exercise either way, whether you're riding high or low. This $#!+ ain't worth your health (mental or physical). Some of these youngins going sleepless nights and becoming owned by this venture, don't realize it will creep back and catch up them with someday. Not worth the price IMO.

OP just try to become as self-aware as possible when it comes to your learning style. Don't get lost in the minutiae when studying; big picture first, then fill the gaps with the little b.s. that you'll probably forget not too long after you bubble up the scantron. Find that style (or mix of styles) that works for you (which could be a lot different than what you hear others mention). Pick a variable in your study habits and change it up; too many big changes may make it a bit difficult to determine what works best for you. In my experience, it could often change from class to class, although the general gist of it all is about the same.

Work hard. Be cool. Trust your gut.

Often times, schools will have people on staff whose sole purpose is to help with study habits. Whether its tutoring, study strategies, note taking, etc., the key is figuring out how to digest all of the info.

My advice: start early and study often. Repetition with the info is key. Don't cram. Maybe I can speak to your interest in neuro. The brain doesn't work well with cramming. You want this stuff for the long term--not just tomorrow's exam. Concept mapping is good. Take your own notes; don't just look at ppt slides.

Hang in there. You'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement...realizing these first 2 years will be mainly studying and taking small breaks to enjoy life is key;)

Everything you mentioned is within reach. I know people from my class who did below average as first years, killed everything after that including Steps, finished in the top 25%, and ended up in ophtho, derm, ortho, etc. DOs are at a disadvantage in those MD residencies in general, but I don't imagine the DO residencies are any different in those regards.

I'm going into PM&R, and you're sitting just fine. Continue to work hard and pass your classes. Shoot for a 220+ on your Step (not sure what programs look for in COMLEX) and get good recs, and you'll be shocked where you get interviews (granted things don't get ridiculously competitive over the next few years). PM&R is very DO friendly.

here is the deal..how did you get into a school with GRADES instead of pass fail....
pass fail means exactly that....where grades mean nothing except to a gunner....so stop being a gunner and simply do your best...

We all hear that grades correlate with board scores, so how does a person who isn't performing at the level they want step it up for boards studying?

why not reduce your EC so you have more time to study

Try these. My "A" students use most of them:
  • Be efficient at time mgt
  • Get a good night's sleep before exams
  • Study with friends
  • Go to class if you're struggling; conversely, if you really get nothing from being at lectures, then by all means, do something else in that time period (unless you're at LECOM)
  • Seek out your professors if you're struggling; they're there for you
  • Have or develop good coping skills in case family or relationship issues intrude
  • Likewise, it's best to have or develop a support group.
  • Don't try to memorize everything; you can't
  • Always be able to look at the big picture
  • Repetition is the key to learning
  • If textbooks are required, buy them
  • Board review books are exactly that; do NOT use them in place of a required text.
  • Do as many practice questions as you can
  • If you have test taking anxiety, get help for it NOW
  • Learn 1 bug and 1 drug a day
  • Enjoy what you study
  • If you feel you know particular material, it's OK to spend less time with it, and better to
  • bone up on what you're weakest in.
  • Do NOT learn by merely re-reading PPT files

Reactions: 2 users
Excellent tips. I will try and incorporate them into revising my study habits.

So we have 1 more block of exams and I did well in some subjects and bad in a few. The time limit at my school is frustrating because even multistep calculations in physiology are given the same amount of time as a discrete question. So I ran out of time and had to guess on the last 15 or so questions and most block exams for 5 subjects are about 150 to 200 questions for 3 hours roughly.

Is this normal for your school too ? Just wondering

So we have 1 more block of exams and I did well in some subjects and bad in a few. The time limit at my school is frustrating because even multistep calculations in physiology are given the same amount of time as a discrete question. So I ran out of time and had to guess on the last 15 or so questions and most block exams for 5 subjects are about 150 to 200 questions for 3 hours roughly.

Is this normal for your school too ? Just wondering

Limited time like this is great board practice. Your school is helping you speed up. On boards you can skip and mark a question and come back to it later. Can u do this on your med school exams?

Yeah I guess I just need to improve on my test taking skills.

GOODS NEWS EVERYONE: I PASSED ALL MY FIRST YEAR COURSES AND IM A 25% DO.

Reality check: My transcript is scattered with mostly C's and toss in a few B's. So my class rank will be low which we find out in a few months, BUT we get 2 months to relax and recharge. So my goal is to get much better grades next year....we'll see how that goes.

Just wanted to give you guys an update in case you were wondering:)

Reactions: 1 user

Reality check: My transcript is scattered with mostly C's and toss in a few B's. So my class rank will be low which we found it in a few month, BUT we get 2 months to relax and recharge. So my goal is to get much better grades next year....we'll see how that goes.

:thumbup: Glad to hear it! Have a great summer and congrats on finishing one of the harder years of medical school :)

P.S. Don't stress, preclinical grades don't matter (most schools just have P/F). Focus on killing the boards!

Reality check: My transcript is scattered with mostly C's and toss in a few B's. So my class rank will be low which we find out in a few months, BUT we get 2 months to relax and recharge. So my goal is to get much better grades next year....we'll see how that goes.

Congrats! Im sure that the amount of work required to get to this point with completing first year entitles you to a little gloating :thumbup:

haha, congrats...thats a good feel for sure

As someone who was not a science major, adjusting to medical school was certainly difficult. I do believe, however, that for a lot of the specialties you listed, board scores are the most important thing. I just matched into anesthesia, and the people in my class who had difficulty, were the people who did NOT take the usmle. Everyone who took it and got over a 225, had no trouble getting interviews. You can do it! It is an adjustment, but it gets easier.

-Star
(check out my blog on med school and applying for residency)
www.shortwhiteconfessions.com

So second year has started and I'm still getting mostly B's and C's...What are some study techniques that work for students?

We get powerpoints and usually I highlight/write in the margins and go over the powerpoints 2-3 times granted there's like 8-10 packets of like 30-50 slides for 6 classes as we have 1 big block exam with 200ish questions every 4-5 weeks....

Any tips?

So second year has started and I'm still getting mostly B's and C's...What are some study techniques that work for students?

We get powerpoints and usually I highlight/write in the margins and go over the powerpoints 2-3 times granted there's like 8-10 packets of like 30-50 slides for 6 classes as we have 1 big block exam with 200ish questions every 4-5 weeks....

Any tips?

M2 is a frigging fire hydrant so you got to prioritize IMO.

For example, for pharm, if your school is even a tiny bit student friendly, will have a drug list. If it's on the drug list, memorize it, if it's not, **** it, it's not important.

For pathology, pathoma + rapid review pathology covers 95% of what you need, IMO.

Micro/Immuno is just straight up buckle down and study hard.

Flashcards, notes, and multiple re-reads are what's getting me through M2.

The other thing is simply to not get stressed over tests. It may be different at osteopathic schools, but I just learned to let go and **** grades.

Any tips?

Something that I hear people say all the time but for some reason doesn't seem to resonate with many people is this idea of looking at the BIG PICTURE. Really think about what that means - think about general processes and principles, talk about them out loud to yourself. Once you get a good grasp of the overall, then start to think about the details. Otherwise you're just memorizing a bunch of details and hoping it somehow sticks. This worked really well for me throughout M1 and M2. I don't know how to better articulate what I mean with this, but just think about it and see if you arrive at an epiphany or something lol.

Pretty sure that class rank doesn't matter in the do world, and it doesn't correlate too well with boards---which do matter. Its all about effort and prioritization. I'm nowhere near the top of my class, not even top half, but I never failed and I got 95% on my boards, both steps. Don't give up, enjoy your life. M1m2 don't really matter anyway.

thanks for the tips, keep them coming! I really need to start focusing more and while we do get drug lists, we have like over 250 slides for 3 classes-Micro, Path, Pharm and then OMT lecture, pediatrics and EENT lecture which also have around 200 slides...it's just a lot of material to cover more than 2-3 times but I'll have to do it...we do get like a month with quizzes and case studies mixed in but still a massive 200 question block exam every 4 weeks!!!

Old thread, but question: where does one find practice questions for first year material?

Any tips?

If I were in your shoes I would just keep doing what you're doing, don't burn out and buckle down for your boards. Your preclinicals don't mean a ton as long as you pass everything..

Also interested in this

BRS, Pre-Test, Review books that correspond with popular texts (Guyton and Hall, Robbins, Gray's, etc), Qbanks (but MS1 is probably too early for that). I know I'm missing some, but the resources are out there. Be sure to crack open First Aid during year 1. Not as a replacement for your content but to start getting a feel for it.

Learn well. Don't stress out on grades too much. Work hard, but don't burn out. Try to enjoy the trip.

And remember...

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and maybe pharmacology tabs in the common qbanks, like u world and Kaplan, should be helpful for first years. I'd start with usmle RX. It's a qbank that corresponds to first aid.

Also interested in this

I would recommend only firecracker for first year, especially if you're systems based...maybe near the end of first year start playing with things like Rx/FA/etc.

I would recommend only firecracker for first year, especially if you're systems based...maybe near the end of first year start playing with things like Rx/FA/etc.

How should first years incorporate firecracker along with numerous other lectures on a daily basis. Is there a particular way to do this without sacrificing grades or lecture based knowledge. I know it's important to do well in class.

I've found BRS and Gray's Review book really helpful for anatomy, especially clinical correlates. I imagine anything that makes it easier for you to understand the material is a plus, so this may be very school/individual specific.

Dr. Dazzle, if you are strictly lecture-based, I focus first on them, and then use the other materials just as a supplement for when you have extra time (haha) or need a break from staring at PowerPoint all day.

How should first years incorporate firecracker along with numerous other lectures on a daily basis. Is there a particular way to do this without sacrificing grades or lecture based knowledge. I know it's important to do well in class.

If you're a completely lecture based and all your test questions come from powerpoints, you might as well just stick with your powerpoints.
If test knowledge comes from additional reading and outside sources then you should be looking at things like firecracker. There really is no reason to try and incorporate anything "board review" in your first year of medical school. The fact that many of these resources are board review materials is just a bonus, but it should not be the primary reason you are seeking these during first year.
Everything everyone is mentioning as helpful in this thread is to help you pare down dense medical school material to help you focus on which thing are more important.

I've found BRS and Gray's Review book really helpful for anatomy, especially clinical correlates. I imagine anything that makes it easier for you to understand the material is a plus, so this may be very school/individual specific.

Dr. Dazzle, if you are strictly lecture-based, I focus first on them, and then use the other materials just as a supplement for when you have extra time (haha) or need a break from staring at PowerPoint all day.

Couldn't agree more with BRS and Gray's review. If you can answer the questions in Gray's and know the clinical correlates in BRS you will more than just okay on your anatomy exams.

Even for other classes that are mostly lecture based exams, I think the BRS books are excellent at helping to solidify the key points and gives you another medium to integrate information from. Things don't always come across clear in PPTs and the BRS books are quick ways to fill in gaps. Of course, they might not have all the stupid cell stains you have to memorize for your professors histo class, but they provide the foundation for the vast majority of the material.

Anyone have any study tips for second year classes like Micro, Pharm, and Path? I know using review books like BRS and First Aid is helpful but anything else? What are some ways people study these courses? Do you just re-read and annotate/highlight the notes? Flashcards?

Anyone have any study tips for second year classes like Micro, Pharm, and Path? I know using review books like BRS and First Aid is helpful but anything else? What are some ways people study these courses? Do you just re-read and annotate/highlight the notes? Flashcards?

flashcards are a must for pharm/micro. Path is more understanding and big picture but pay attention to the details.

If you're a completely lecture based and all your test questions come from powerpoints, you might as well just stick with your powerpoints.
If test knowledge comes from additional reading and outside sources then you should be looking at things like firecracker. There really is no reason to try and incorporate anything "board review" in your first year of medical school. The fact that many of these resources are board review materials is just a bonus, but it should not be the primary reason you are seeking these during first year.
Everything everyone is mentioning as helpful in this thread is to help you pare down dense medical school material to help you focus on which thing are more important.

Yeah, but it seems firecracker and FA summarize and provide concise outlines . Also questions in firecracker would be great! These things should help in learning lecture material better right? Bonus being a bit of boards prep.

repetition, repetition, repetition is what the upperclassmen tell me