Stressed First Year Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reading this thread was a bad decision to do. Thank you SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
just gotta breathe and take it 1 day at a time.

Last edited:
How many people clinched at the possibility of failing step 1 while reading this thread? Me

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people clinched at the possibility of failing step 1 while reading this thread? Me

I can't sleep now....

... Just joking, I'm actually gonna work my ass off. Confidence is key.

After 3 semesters of doing fine, I still freak out a bit before every PBL exam or OPP Final Practical. Failing at some point in med school is a very real possibility, because it's so much material that requires a large time commitment, and you have to stay on top of things every step of the way.

OP, you can absolutely do this, but I would take as much time as you need. Forget about moving on with your other classmates. That doesn't matter, all that matters is passing on this last attempt. Spend the next few months devoting everything to studying and passing Level 1, and take it when you're good and ready. Good luck!

Many residency programs even state on their website they don't take people that failed multiple times and many websites state they ONLY consider people that passed on their first attempt. And with the upcoming changes to the Match, I'm sure it's only going to get more competitive with class sizes increasing, new schools graduating classes of 150+, and limited new residency programs starting.

It's just kind of heartbreaking knowing I got so far and worked my a$$ off passing all my classes with C's and then failing boards...By the way, I wasn't being lazy when I got those grades, I truly worked my hardest and that's what I got...It's like why did God take me so far including 4 years of college and first 2 years of medical school when I was just going to fail the exam and get kicked out. The last 6 years have taught me that sometimes life doesn't work out the way you planned it and you have to have a back-up plan. In the end, I can only blame myself for my mistakes.

I hope this thread serves as a warning to people that medical school is tough and not everyone makes it out alive. I think my class lost a few students each semester and several students added a year. Yes, majority of students are successful so please don't think my situation applies to everyone but I'm sure it applies to a handful of students at each school. Also, what's the point of trying to become a doctor if you're going to be miserable, depressed and sad throughout the 4 years and probably beyond. Medicine is not everyone's cup of tea and people need to really understand what they are going into before the enormous debt and sacrifices they put into the track. However, let me say MAJORITY of my classmates are happy and successful and will be great physicians and don't feel bad if you struggle because not everyone is equally smart. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and that's just life.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

Many residency programs even state on their website they don't take people that failed multiple times and many websites state they ONLY consider people that passed on their first attempt. And with the upcoming changes to the Match, I'm sure it's only going to get more competitive with class sizes increasing, new schools graduating classes of 150+, and limited new residency programs starting...

Yeah, that's true. Those places also fill up. It still follows the rule, "beggars can't be choosers". An AMG student that fails boards will have limited options, but if they want any GME, they can get it; and a not so desirable residency program that doesn't fill might not want to take a student that fails boards, but they can't afford to be that picky, especially if its that resident or losing funding for that spot.

You should really stop looking at what options are closed off to you, and start looking at what's still open. The merger and school expansion might make things harder, but if you pick things up and manage to pass, even on your 3rd attempt, and finish school, you'll be finishing with the class of 2017. That means that TRIs and 3-yr AOA residencies will still be an option, even if they don't make the cut when ACGME accreditation becomes required (i.e. by 2020).

A DO medical graduate with even 1 yr of GME (i.e. any TRI and COMLEX Level 3) can be licensed in something like 37 states. I wouldn't give up until all your chances are exhausted. Use this last chance, and push through. Its very very rare for people who manage to pass Level 1 (even on their 2nd or 3rd attempt) and get through 3rd year to not graduate.

Worst case scenario and you don't pass, you'll still be at the same place. Best case, pass and finish and you'll be looking at $100k+ salary, a profession and career.

Many residency programs even state on their website they don't take people that failed multiple times and many websites state they ONLY consider people that passed on their first attempt. And with the upcoming changes to the Match, I'm sure it's only going to get more competitive with class sizes increasing, new schools graduating classes of 150+, and limited new residency programs starting.

It's just kind of heartbreaking knowing I got so far and worked my a$$ off passing all my classes with C's and then failing boards...By the way, I wasn't being lazy when I got those grades, I truly worked my hardest and that's what I got...It's like why did God take me so far including 4 years of college and first 2 years of medical school when I was just going to fail the exam and get kicked out. The last 6 years have taught me that sometimes life doesn't work out the way you planned it and you have to have a back-up plan. In the end, I can only blame myself for my mistakes.

I hope this thread serves as a warning to people that medical school is tough and not everyone makes it out alive. I think my class lost a few students each semester and several students added a year. Yes, majority of students are successful so please don't think my situation applies to everyone but I'm sure it applies to a handful of students at each school. Also, what's the point of trying to become a doctor if you're going to be miserable, depressed and sad throughout the 4 years and probably beyond. Medicine is not everyone's cup of tea and people need to really understand what they are going into before the enormous debt and sacrifices they put into the track. However, let me say MAJORITY of my classmates are happy and successful and will be great physicians and don't feel bad if you struggle because not everyone is equally smart. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and that's just life.

That is very nice of you to make us feel more encouraged after having felt sympathy and terror at your situation. I can't imagine how I would react in this situation, but I probably wouldn't take it like you. KudosShows you are a decent person. I wish you the best of luck. Don't give up yet though. Study hard and do your best. Sometimes 3 times is a charm!

I don't understand why you are walking away before your last test. If you pass it it could significantly change your circumstances and outlook on your career. I have a huge issue with your use of the serenity prayer. The serenity prayer is meant to encourage people to keep pushing forward and change their circumstances for the better, not to help them find an excuse to walk away from a completely salvageable situation. It is like an alcoholic telling themselves that an alcoholic drinks alcohol and so what's the point of trying. If medicine is what you want to do, keep trying. If medicine is not what you want to do and the idea of being a doctor disgusts you, then walk away. Don't walk away because a roadblock has suddenly come into view and it is easier to give up. That is not a successful life strategy for any situation, medical school or otherwise, that you will face in the future.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't understand why you are walking away before your last test. If you pass it it could significantly change your circumstances and outlook on your career. I have a huge issue with your use of the serenity prayer. The serenity prayer is meant to encourage people to keep pushing forward and change their circumstances for the better, not to help them find an excuse to walk away from a completely salvageable situation. It is like an alcoholic telling themselves that an alcoholic drinks alcohol and so what's the point of trying. If medicine is what you want to do, keep trying. If medicine is not what you want to do and the idea of being a doctor disgusts you, then walk away. Don't walk away because a roadblock has suddenly come into view and it is easier to give up. That is not a successful life strategy for any situation, medical school or otherwise, that you will face in the future.

This x1000

Reactions: 1 users
Based on my last attempt and if I pass, I can still graduate and apply with my class, but let's just say this past year has been a nightmare that I wish will end.

Last edited:
Based on my last attempt and if I pass, I can still graduate and apply with my class, but let's just say this past year has been a nightmare that I wish will end.

Do you wish it will end because of the stress of not passing, or because you hated rotations/clinical medicine? If it's the latter, just say so. It's ok. I know plenty of people that realized they hated medicine in 3rd year. It's not the end of the world.

If it's the former, I really wish you luck. I can't imagine the stress you're under, but maybe that makes taking a step back even more valuable. I hope it all works out.

To be completely honest, I loved rotations and I was much happier during rotations than during these study months and during the first 2 years. However, I have to wonder if I'm mentally qualified or strong enough to continue because after a while of trying your best and continuing to come up short, you have to be insane to not doubt yourself. I have to be realistic and see where my life's journey will take me. Ill keep everyone updated on what happens...best of luck and thanks for the warm wishes.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I have signed up for my 3RD COMLEX Level I attempt. I realized it's best to give it one final shot at my dream and let God decide what happens. While this depressing and challenging period has tested my emotions and fears, it has also strengthened my will to succeed and desire to help others. I will work my butt off and then leave the rest up to fate.

Congrats to all the OMS IV's that matched today. I'm so happy and proud of my friends and peers and God willing I get that email someday.

Reactions: 3 users
UPDATE: I have signed up for my 3RD COMLEX Level I attempt. I realized it's best to give it one final shot at my dream and let God decide what happens. While this depressing and challenging period has tested my emotions and fears, it has also strengthened my will to succeed and desire to help others. I will work my butt off and then leave the rest up to fate.

Congrats to all the OMS IV's that matched today. I'm so happy and proud of my friends and peers and God willing I get that email someday.

Good to here. I wish you the best and don't forget to update us when you have passed the test

Reactions: 2 users