MD & DO Stressed Sophmore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shayla Flowere

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hitting a point where I'm really stressed as a pre-med (more than a little of that has to do with O-Chem:(). I'm a first semester sophomore, and after a really rough freshman year (I got placed in 300 level bio classes my first and second semester of Freshman year since I took gen bio I and II in high school) and as a result I got C's in both classes since I didn't know how to study for those classes. Now in my sophomore year, I have a 2.13 sGPA and a 2.97 cGPA. I'm doing much better this semester (looking at getting an A in Physics, and in my bio class), and should be at a 3.02 GPA at the end of this semester if I can haul a C in Orgo. At this point my projected sGPA at time of application will be around a 3.33 and my cGPA will be around a 3.49/3.5. Am I competitive for DO schools? I'm really worried.....

Other Stat's:
-Double Major (Jour and Bio)
-Leadership: Copy Editor of Campus Newspaper (will be working there all four years)
-Volunteering Community: Art Gallery 50+ hours
-Shadowing: 8 hours (working on this)
-Beginning research for a gender studies paper
-URM

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you'll still be ok for DO schools but try to get A/B in your classes from here on out. Also you'll obviously have to score decent on your MCAT, and you should also start looking into getting clinical volunteering hours.

The art gallery is also a cool volunteering experience, but you should try and get non-clinical volunteering that helps out the less fortunate than yourself.

Yes you'll still be ok for DO schools but try to get A/B in your classes from here on out. Also you'll obviously have to score decent on your MCAT, and you should also start looking into getting clinical volunteering hours.

The art gallery is also a cool volunteering experience, but you should try and get non-clinical volunteering that helps out the less fortunate than yourself.
I'm looking into the SHEPP program and I see that most of the sites are MD schools, would possibly going to that program be an asset on my resume?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking into the SHEPP program and I see that most of the sites are MD schools, would possibly going to that program be an asset on my resume?
I don't know a lot about the program, but from what I just looked up it seems to be more of a learning seminar with a few clinical opportunities available. Personally I don't think it will stand out that much on your application so I think what would be best is to make yourself stand out volunteer wise by volunteering at places that may not be as comfortable as a hospital setting such as a hospice. I could be wrong since I don't know much about the program, but that's how it appears to me.

I'm hitting a point where I'm really stressed as a pre-med (more than a little of that has to do with O-Chem:(). I'm a first semester sophomore, and after a really rough freshman year (I got placed in 300 level bio classes my first and second semester of Freshman year since I took gen bio I and II in high school) and as a result I got C's in both classes since I didn't know how to study for those classes. Now in my sophomore year, I have a 2.13 sGPA and a 2.97 cGPA. I'm doing much better this semester (looking at getting an A in Physics, and in my bio class), and should be at a 3.02 GPA at the end of this semester if I can haul a C in Orgo. At this point my projected sGPA at time of application will be around a 3.33 and my cGPA will be around a 3.49/3.5. Am I competitive for DO schools? I'm really worried.....

Other Stat's:
-Double Major (Jour and Bio)
-Leadership: Copy Editor of Campus Newspaper (will be working there all four years)
-Volunteering Community: Art Gallery 50+ hours
-Shadowing: 8 hours (working on this)
-Beginning research for a gender studies paper
-URM

Very much so. What ethnic group do you represent?