Stressing out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachieh13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to 14 schools and so far I have received 1 rejection letter (WVU) which wasn't on the top of my list so I wasn't concerned about it. I submitted my application to PTCAS in mid-november after receiving my GRE scores (which I took the new version in October and did slightly below average). I am starting to become impatient because I have been reading that people are receiving acceptances to some of the schools I have applied to and I haven't heard anything yet. Should I be worried? I didn't have the greatest overall GPA in my undergrad (2.6) but I needed to fulfill some prereq requirements that I didn't take in undergrad and have done wonderful in these classes, boosting my GPA.(I'm shooting for a 2.9 or 3.0 overall once my last 2 prereqs are complete) I am also a Physical Therapy Tech and have over a year of experience in the field, I had 3 awesome letters of recommendation which I'm hoping helps me out. I have 2 more classes to take to fulfill the prereq requirements and they will be completed in May, which will allow me to start in August, assuming I get accepted somewhere. I really want to get into either Arcadia or Widener. Can anyone give me words of wisdom or some insight?

Members don't see this ad.

There's not much you can do right now except for wait and do well in your last two pre-reqs. Many people have been accepted because they completed their PTCAS app early... for example, I finished my app at the end of August. The closer you submit to the deadline, the longer it's going to take for schools to get back to you because everyone submits around that time. I didn't hear about my interview at Emory until November, and mine app was received by emory mid Sept. Anyway, I think that you should be hearing back in Feb/early March, for those that don't interview (since they have to look at alot of apps in the same time period).

Anyway, if your stats are good enough for the schools you applied to, you should be fine. But I do know many schools require a 3.0 minimum GPA for consideration, so your current GPA might be hurting you, but if you applied to schools that are lenient with lower stats or are still able to consider you, then you should be fine. Good luck

I feel your pain. You're not alone. I've applied to 11 schools. I applied to most of them in August/September. I am a unique applicant because I completed a trimester in a DPT program and left. The first time I applied I applied in October 2010 and heard back before December. This time around I applied in August/September 2011 and have not heard from a lot of schools. I really believe it is getting more and more competitive each year. Good luck everyone!

University of Illinois '10
Cumm GPA: 3.47
PreReq GPA: 3.1
GRE V:450 Q:600 A: 4.5

Applied: Nova Southeastern, U of Miami, U of South Alabama, MU (AZ, IL), Rosalind Franklin, UIC, Governer's State U, U of South Florida, U of Kentucky, U of St. Augustine

Accepted: U of St. Augustine (Cannot attend because they make you take out private loans)
Waitlisted: NovaSoutheastern, Governers State U told me I would be considered for the second round of interviews if they need to have them.
Interviewed: Rosalind Franklin, U of St. Augustine, NovaSoutheastern
Rejected: Rosalind Franklin, UIC, U of South Florida

Members don't see this ad :)
rachieh,
If you don't mind me asking when did you hear back from WVU? Did you send in supplemental information for their program? I am in the same boat. I applied to 12 school and I have been waitlisted at 2 and denied from 2. I know that the field is competitive though and I am not going to give up until every program has started classes!!! If I don't get into school this year I will definitely be applying again. I am just trying not to let myself get to down or worried about it because there are so many applicants and I know there are very very very limited spots!! Keep you head up!! It will all work out!

jlconnor I heard back about 2 weeks ago from WVU. And so far thats the only thing I've heard. Its stressing me out because I know I don't have the greatest GPA or GRE scores but I have been in the field for a while now and have great experience. I hope to hear back soon! I'll keep ya posted.

Good Luck!

I really want to get into either Arcadia or Widener. Can anyone give me words of wisdom or some insight?

I know Arcadia requires a 3.0 overall GPA as a minimum to be considered. According to the old GRE scoring, they also required a 1050 minimum score (including minimum scores of 450 in any one category and minimum of 4 on analytical writing). I'm not sure how that converts to the new GRE scores though.

yeah, I unfortunately may not have the greatest stats but I know I will make an awesome PT. I have some wonderful experience in the field and have been told by my coworkers who are PT's and PTA's that I have what it takes. I made a few mistakes in my undergrad degree and didn't care as much as I should have back then, but since then I've made adjustments and know what I want more than ever and won't stop until I achieve my goal of becoming a PT.