Strike during interviews in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grunermann

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I'm in NYC right now visiting with my parents. I am supposed to be staying on 110th st and have an interview at SUNY downstate on the 20th. I am sooo worried about this subway strike. Does anyone want to get a hotel room closer in midtown/downtown or have a space available or any suggestions? I am at a loss for what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it. They threaten it every time there's a contract negotiation. It never happens.

you might want to make an appt with a local car service just in case.

If you go to http://mta.nyc.ny.us, they outline a contingency plan, mostly Metro North trains & a few buses in Brooklyn (which should help you for Downstate).

Since you're also down by Columbia's campus, go to www.columbia.edu - they've set up a series of shuttle buses to help people commute to and from Morningside.

I can't believe there was actually a strike on the day of your interview - how did it go?

Orange Julius said:
Don't worry about it. They threaten it every time there's a contract negotiation. It never happens.

How I wish this were always true.

I don't think public transportation workers should be allowed to strike. Physicians are not allowed to - how is public transport any less important?

kassie said:
I can't believe there was actually a strike on the day of your interview - how did it go?

If only the interview happened. They cancelled it (I emailed many days in advance about a contingency plan; this is what they came up with). They had the nerve to call at 10:30 this morning and said I could still come interview if I wanted. Maintaining decorum and propriety was rather difficult at that point but I managed. I figured that any place where the PD wouldn't even call and say, 'sorry' was no place me.

DeLaughterDO said:
I don't think public transportation workers should be allowed to strike. Physicians are not allowed to - how is public transport any less important?

They aren't. Neither are teachers. They do.

I actually had an interview in Manhattan today - everyone showed up. I had to walk 35 blocks from Grand Central to get there. Yikes.

rugtrousers said:
I actually had an interview in Manhattan today - everyone showed up. I had to walk 35 blocks from Grand Central to get there. Yikes.
That's a good hike in a suit. I'm assuming all of the cabs are tied up?

The cabs were hard to get. They can refuse you if you're not going where they had planned to go, they can stop to pick up as many as 3 more passengers, and it's a minimum $10 for a ride ($5 extra for each "zone" crossed). The walk downtown was fine, but I took a cab to get back (it was cold and dark).