Striking NJ nurses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2Fast2Des

to become No One, one must be PP slick
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hospital willing to bleed and screw over their nurses

Been following this, how do you think it will play out? They are paying millions for the travelers but no money to pay staff nurses and improve ratios. Ironic

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
They have strike insurance to cover the traveler expenses and losses in productivity.

They have strike insurance to cover the traveler expenses and losses in productivity.
And then what's the long game? Prove to the healthcare world that they don't care about their staff? Covid Heroes one minute and now take told to take a hike when they ask for things to help with patient safety?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know the exact details but it’s pretty messed up that the hospital ended the nurse’s health insurance.

I don’t know the exact details but it’s pretty messed up that the hospital ended the nurse’s health insurance.

It is an adversarial process. You fight with what you have. Of course, when this is settled, the nurses will never forget and there will undoubtedly be an effect on fidelity to the institution. I suspect that going forward there will be a lot of people keeping their employee handbooks on their night table making sure not to leave a nickel behind. Not sure that they did the math on that one.

Why? They aren’t working. They aren’t getting paid for the same reason.

Reactions: 1 user

Employers are not required to pay wages or any benefits during a strike. However, you usually keep accumulated benefits like sick time and vacation days during a strike.

And then what's the long game? Prove to the healthcare world that they don't care about their staff? Covid Heroes one minute and now take told to take a hike when they ask for things to help with patient safety?

Its always a curious situation. Nurses are striking but there aren't enough nurses to make up for the strike. So patients suffer due to a delay of care. Additionally, the strikers are making a ton of noise with cars honking and loudspeakers from morning until evening, which also is disruptive to patients sleep and health. Seems a bit hypocritical to be clamoring for safe ratios for patient care but then leaving the hospital and those very same patients understaffed.

That said, the hospital and its leadership are a bunch of Karens.

The nursing professional society should issue statements on exact ratios that should never be exceeded, and specify in what areas. They should then offer expert witness services for attorneys to pursue facilities that exceed these ratios.

Now that I think of it....ahh nevermind, too many of the "old guard " in anesthesia....you get the idea.

The nursing professional society should issue statements on exact ratios that should never be exceeded, and specify in what areas. They should then offer expert witness services for attorneys to pursue facilities that exceed these ratios.

Now that I think of it....ahh nevermind, too many of the "old guard " in anesthesia....you get the idea.
They have made their position abundantly clear on this issue.

Unknown.png

Its always a curious situation. Nurses are striking but there aren't enough nurses to make up for the strike. So patients suffer due to a delay of care. Additionally, the strikers are making a ton of noise with cars honking and loudspeakers from morning until evening, which also is disruptive to patients sleep and health. Seems a bit hypocritical to be clamoring for safe ratios for patient care but then leaving the hospital and those very same patients understaffed.

Nothing hypocritical here... I don't think they owe the hospital or patients anything. At the end of the day it's a job, and medicine has turned into such a transactional process thanks to the useless bean counters. They're not providing mission work or charity care, they should get whatever they want because hey, at least they have the balls and unity to band together to fight for themselves against "The Man", and the man has plenty of cash that they refuse to spend to take care of their own people, but somehow have more than enough money to build, expand the hospital, and spend on travel\locums forever.

You will never see doctors striking like that even if their lives depended on it, so gotta give them credit for going through with this

Reactions: 10 users

Seems hypocritical for a physician to demand $400/hr locums pay when you could just do it for less. Think about all the extra care the hospital could provide if greedy physicians didn’t demand so much money. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Nothing hypocritical here... I don't think they owe the hospital or patients anything. At the end of the day it's a job, and medicine has turned into such a transactional process thanks to the useless bean counters. They're not providing mission work or charity care, they should get whatever they want because hey, at least they have the balls and unity to band together to fight for themselves against "The Man", and the man has plenty of cash that they refuse to spend to take care of their own people, but somehow have more than enough money to build, expand the hospital, and spend on travel\locums forever.

You will never see doctors striking like that even if their lives depended on it, so gotta give them credit for going through with this
I'm not saying they cant/shouldnt do it. Its a capitalist economy in a freeish market economy. What I am saying is that its hypocritical to suggest that its done in the best interest of the patient rather than in the best interest of the nurses. Just be honest.

Seems hypocritical for a physician to demand $400/hr locums pay when you could just do it for less. Think about all the extra care the hospital could provide if greedy physicians didn’t demand so much money. :rolleyes:
I actually demand $450 now. However, I dont accept a $250/hr locums job and then go on strike because they arent paying me $400/hr.
As mentioned above, I dont have a problem with the nurses demanding higher pay/competitive wages.
What I have an issue with is to say its in the patients best interest that they go on strike which then leads to worse patient outcomes.
Using your example, it would be me saying I need $450/hr because its better for the patients. I have no problem saying that I am demanding $450/hr because that is what some markets will bear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospital willing to bleed and screw over their nurses

Been following this, how do you think it will play out? They are paying millions for the travelers but no money to pay staff nurses and improve ratios. Ironic

I mean the staffing ratio thing they’ve been clamoring about for years. It’s just the no one wants to do nursing anymore so they feel that they have the leverage to pull this.

If the hospital or the public for that matter had to give a “provider” a dollar for everytime they used the word hero to describe them, I bet they’d stfu.

Also across the pond, the doctors and the nurses seem to both be willing to strike

Last edited:
If the hospital or the public for that matter had to give a “provider” a dollar for everytime they used the word hero to describe them, I bet they’d stfu.

Also across the pond, the doctors and the nurses seem to both be willing to strike

Funny, but over here in Scandiland, even union nurses and doctors are effectively barred from striking, as the govt arbotrators very quickly see the dangers to patient care as soon as we don't show up to work, and then end the strike due to nefarious legaleeze.

Funny, but over here in Scandiland, even union nurses and doctors are effectively barred from striking, as the govt arbotrators very quickly see the dangers to patient care as soon as we don't show up to work, and then end the strike due to nefarious legaleeze.
What happens if a large portion of the docs and nurses call in sick?

What happens if a large portion of the docs and nurses call in sick?

They call in the police and arrest you or effectively bar you from ever practicing again. Your employer will likely fire you or take away your privileges and then you can explain to your new boss when you finally get another job

I'm not saying they cant/shouldnt do it. Its a capitalist economy in a freeish market economy. What I am saying is that its hypocritical to suggest that its done in the best interest of the patient rather than in the best interest of the nurses. Just be honest.

I actually demand $450 now. However, I dont accept a $250/hr locums job and then go on strike because they arent paying me $400/hr.
As mentioned above, I dont have a problem with the nurses demanding higher pay/competitive wages.
What I have an issue with is to say its in the patients best interest that they go on strike which then leads to worse patient outcomes.
Using your example, it would be me saying I need $450/hr because its better for the patients. I have no problem saying that I am demanding $450/hr because that is what some markets will bear.

Marketing. What’s hard to understand there? Marketing almost never tells the whole truth. Why should the nurses have to tell the whole truth? Do you really believe all those billboards the hospital admins post outside a city claiming they care about you and your family? If the hospitals can spew bull**** then why can’t the nurses?

Marketing. What’s hard to understand there? Marketing almost never tells the whole truth. Why should the nurses have to tell the whole truth? Do you really believe all those billboards the hospital admins post outside a city claiming they care about you and your family? If the hospitals can spew bull**** then why can’t the nurses?
I dont disagree with you. I do think the nurses are telling a half-truth. I just dont expect the public to be able to see through it as easily as they see through the billboards. My comment was more in comparison to your original comment about working for less than my already negotiated rate. If one party doesn't like the terms, they can leave and not sign the contract.

Nurses fighting for low patient to nurse ratios is analogous to anesthesiologists fighting for low supervision or medical direction ratios. There is a patient safety argument and I support all workers rights. That said, low ratios aggravate the current nursing shortage which leads to higher salaries.

Last edited:
Don’t nurses in NYC/NJ get paid like 120k per year

Low/mid Six figure salaries in a place like NJ or NY are meaningless. It literally buys you nothing exceptional. If you aren’t committing tax fraud or in on the legal scams like finance and corporate law then you’re basically paying out the nose to live in a split level built in the 50s that looks like it and your kids are going to a decent public school.

Low/mid Six figure salaries in a place like NJ or NY are meaningless. It literally buys you nothing exceptional. If you aren’t committing tax fraud or in on the legal scams like finance and corporate law then you’re basically paying out the nose to live in a split level built in the 50s that looks like it and your kids are going to a decent public school.

Ya but compared to a pediatrician who makes 175k in those areas it’s pretty good

Yeah but anesthesiologists complain they can’t make ends meet on $500k/yr. Nurses don’t get a discount on housing, food, tuition, etc.
To my knowledge, neither do physicians... but i do see nursing discounts in a lot of places that specifically exclude doctors.
Average salary in NYC is 70k.

To my knowledge, neither do physicians... but i do see nursing discounts in a lot of places that specifically exclude doctors.

Average salary in NYC is 70k.

Man, someone had a nurse spit in his coffee today. Missing out on that 10% healthcare heroes discount for a pair of ASICS. 😉

Some academic places offer free or discounted tuition to professors whose kid’s go to that school. That benefit is not usually extended to nurses.

Man, someone had a nurse spit in his coffee today. Missing out on that 10% healthcare heroes discount for a pair of ASICS. 😉

Some academic places offer free or discounted tuition to professors whose kid’s go to that school. That benefit is not usually extended to nurses.
Some places also extend that to all employees (including professors who are nurse) and not just physicians. Whats your point?

Nursing union strikes are usually disguised as being about patient ratios and staffing when in reality they're usually about the fat cats at the top maxing out their pay scales and wanting more money.

Was at an institution where the nurses threatened to strike and it left a ton of bad blood between them and the physicians and other staff in the hospital.

450 is the new norm now? Mine is way lower than this.

Doing locums for private groups is a bad deal. They give you the fastest turnover rooms and would work you to the last minute. 15 turn over time, solve your own bathroom/lunch break problems.

Doing locums for private groups is a bad deal. They give you the fastest turnover rooms and would work you to the last minute. 15 turn over time, solve your own bathroom/lunch break problems.
They are idiots then. Sounds like they are trying to run them off instead of retaining them. Not all groups are like this.

Reactions: 5 users

If you are in a high volume room, then you have time to take plenty of breaks to use the bathroom. You dont need an hour for lunch. Takes 10 minutes to eat quickly. I demand $450, but usually its a negotiation and we land somewhere in the middle. $350-400 is already the norm in non-malignant locations (LA, NY, SF). Its easy to get that rate in OR, WA, and the midwest.