Stroke fellowship: Cleveland or Pittsburgh?

Started by Lebron666
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lebron666

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Due to extenuating factors, I am looking to go to either the city of Cleveland or Pittsburgh for my stroke fellowship.

The only programs I can identify in these areas are Allegheny General Hospital, U. of Pittsburgh, Cleveland Clinic, and Case Western.

Can anyone provide insightful input as to the caliber, functionality, rankings, reputation, etc. of these programs. I mean, are all of these at similar levels?

What do fellows actually DO at each of these places.

Thanks for your input.
 
It's been several days..... anyone with comments on these cities/programs? Any feedback would be appreciated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you want a purely subjective, personal, and nonscientific ranking of the programs, I'd say Cleveland Clinic > Pitt > Case > Allegheny. The first three are all top notch academic centers and I suspect there is probably not really all that much difference between them in terms of academic quality and clinical training. Not really sure about Allegheny.

Geographically, I'd MUCH rather live in Pitt than Cleveland.
 
can anybody else help... I need to make some contacts to these programs very soon.

Bonran -- do you have any thoughts? You seem to know about a few of these programs based on previous posts.
 
Univ of Pittsburg is outstanding for stroke, no question about it.
CCF used to be outstanding, but still very good. Many key faculty (as Anthony Furlan) moved to Case as chair. I heard that every alternate year, one stroke fellow at Case also gets an INR spot with Robert Tarr. So currently, Case has a better stroke fellowship than CCF.
 
Didn't UPMC's chair of neurology just leave though? I wonder if that has implications for the future. Have any other faculty left since then?

Also, I'm wondering why people are interested in stroke because it doesn't seem as intellectually as interesting as some of the other areas of neurology. Is it because there are procedures and it is well compensated?
 
I heard that the former chair of neurology at UPMC went to become dean of medical affairs for the UVA system. That would be a promotion in my book.

I also heard from others that the current interim chair, Lawrence Wechsler, is going to become the permanent chair. He is a nationally recognized stroke doctor, and is well thought of by everyone I've talked to. I do know that the fellowship director at UPMC recently left for CCF, but I am unclear as to the reasons why he left.

Stroke is interesting, fast paced, cutting edge. Rest of neurology (EEG, EMG, Dementia) is stuck in a rut.
 
:laugh:
Also, I'm wondering why people are interested in stroke because it doesn't seem as intellectually as interesting as some of the other areas of neurology.

yeah, I've wondered that myself for a long, long time. 😉

I think it's because it's pretty much the only thing neurology has to offer the few adrenaline junkies that made the mistake of gravitating to neuro to begin with. You know: jump out of bed at 2 a.m. and get in to shoot that TPA before your 4.5 hours are up. :laugh:
 
Pretty much what cardiology is all about, specially interventional cardiology.