stroke fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

md2bny

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
d

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed at about 12 programs & terminated another 6 interviews after matching where I wanted. My impression is:

1st tier:
Stroke+ Tele+ Intervention (neurologists) group:
U Cincinnati, UCLA, UT-Houston, U Miami, UPMC, MGH, Case Western

Stroke + epidemiology group
Columbia, UT Houston, U Miami, UCSF, Mayo

2nd tier:
Stroke + TCDs +Tele
MCG, Barrow Institute, UT-South Western

Stroke volume-all work & no play
SUNY-Buffalo (800-1000 pa. 2 fellowship positions but usually fill up just 1 place- loads of experience.......& exhaution)

Stroke + intervention for Muslims only
U Minnesota , UMDNJ Newark

Some home truths about Stroke Fellowship training:

Ralph Sacco moved to U Miami in 2007 from Columbia.

It is a professional hazard to go to the Muslim programs if you want to train in stroke & go on to Intervention. Non-muslims may be booted out after their stroke fellowship. This has been told to me by members of their own faculty & if you dont believe it, go through their fellows names when you interview there, better still go ahead & join the programs.

Certain programs are averse to training neurologists in Intervention, some despite having trained neurologists in the past ie SUNY Buffalo, Barrow, UCLA

Last edited:
please need reply asap! is a fellowship contract binding? can a program force you to go there eventhough you have told them you want to resign (this is for 2009-2010)? Isnt 11 months enough for them to fill the spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at about 12 programs & terminated another 6 interviews after matching where I wanted. My impression is:

1st tier:
Stroke+ Tele+ Intervention (neurologists) group:
U Cincinnati, UCLA, UT-Houston, U Miami, UPMC, MGH, Case Western

Stroke + epidemiology group
Columbia, UT Houston, U Miami, UCSF, Mayo

2nd tier:
Stroke + TCDs +Tele
MCG, Barrow Institute, UT-South Western

Stroke volume-all work & no play
SUNY-Buffalo (800-1000 pa. 2 fellowship positions but usually fill up just 1 place- loads of experience.......& exhaution)

Stroke + intervention for Muslims only
U Minnesota (Qureshi group), UMDNJ Newark (Kirmani group)

Some home truths about Stroke Fellowship training:

CCF doesnt have Tony Furlan anymore. He moved to Case in 2008.

Ralph Sacco moved to U Miami in 2007 from Columbia.

It is a professional hazard to go to the Muslim programs if you want to train in stroke & go on to Intervention. Non-muslims may be booted out after their stroke fellowship. This has been told to me by members of their own faculty & if you dont believe it, go through their fellows names when you interview there, better still go ahead & join the programs.

Certain programs are averse to training neurologists in Intervention, some despite having trained neurologists in the past ie SUNY Buffalo, Barrow, UCLA

Hey, as someone interested in stroke medicine, this is uber helpful :) thanks :thumbup: I'm sure it will be a long time before I sart thinking about fellowships but it's nice to get these underground info...which I of course take with loads of salty salt! Hahaha...I can't believe Im seeing the tiers again...

please need reply asap! is a fellowship contract binding? can a program force you to go there eventhough you have told them you want to resign (this is for 2009-2010)? Isnt 11 months enough for them to fill the spot?

md2bny.... do you mind if I ask what program you are considering dropping? The ONLY reason I ask is because I am just started looking for fellowships in the last week (yes, I know it's late) to start in July 2009.

It may be nice to know that they could have a candidate slot in if you are trying to leave.

md2bny.... do you mind if I ask what program you are considering dropping? The ONLY reason I ask is because I am just started looking for fellowships in the last week (yes, I know it's late) to start in July 2009.

It may be nice to know that they could have a candidate slot in if you are trying to leave.

Your message did not specify what kind of fellowship you are looking for (yes, it is quite late for 2009) but if you meant stroke, then Northwestern has an unexpected opening for 2009 as advertised in "Neurology" from September 30, 2008. Good luck.

For all those who called me a xenophobe & then took that posting off the website please see this link & tell me if there is a bias in selecting candidates to this institute. I also have evidence of selection bias against other institutes named here.

http://www.umdnj.edu/cbvweb/Faculty___Staff/faculty___staff.html

The post was not taken away by it's author, but by the administrator. Spreading false rumors about your colleagues will get you in serious trouble in your career as a neurointerventionalist. It is a small world and you are accusing some serious people of selecting fellows based upon their religion yet your pathetic claims are completely unsubstantiated. I am not going to argue this again as there was, is, and will be only one kind of ESN fellows at UMN and UMDNJ - the best ones. Some of them are muslims, many are not (including current ones). I feel sorry for you and your future colleagues...No more posts on my end to this regard.

Last edited:
Lets not make this personal guys or else the mods will delete this perfectly useful thread. No need to make personal attacks on a thread when you have email and phones to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The post was not taken away by it's author, but by the administrator. Spreading false rumors about your colleagues will get you in serious trouble in your career as a neurointerventionalist. It is a small world and you are accusing some serious people of selecting fellows based upon their religion yet your pathetic claims are completely unsubstantiated. I am not going to argue this again as there was, is, and will be only one kind of ESN fellows at UMN and UMDNJ - the best ones. Some of them are muslims, many are not (including current ones). I feel sorry for you and your future colleagues...No more posts on my end to this regard.
Whatever Mr Zarbazan says, it is an estabilished fact that certain programs are practicing racism in their selection policies. This is well acknowledged in the neurovascular field. The link proves it itself. Infact one PD was asked to leave a program for hiring too many Pakistani & Arab muslim fellows to this program & has now got a new program in the Mid-West where he continues the same practices. A list of the fellows recruited to these programs over the last few years will prove this just like the link does. Of course, there is the one odd White American fellow every other year to balance the look of the fellowship. There are 3 such programs in the US right now, 2 in the Mid-West & 1 in NJ. Of course, the US grads dont see this or understand the concept since these practices are rare & done under covers in this country. Everything is done under wraps. In fact, some of the medical students in the link are now going to one of the other programs to become Fellows in endovascular neurology. That proves it in itself. Let these people shriek at the top of their voice that they recruit the best, but the truth is proven by whom they recruit.....Muslims (FMGs or AMGs). Why dont they or their defenders put up a list of their fellows since they took over their programs????? And how come so many Muslims get recruited to these programs where the PD is a Muslim regardless of whether they are US citizens or IMGs in a country where 80% of fellows training in neurocritical care & stroke are White Christians? Statistics dont lie. These questions need answers, otherwise the recruitment policy/interviews & their claims that they are training the best are a big farce. I will leave it to that.

The very fact that there is an embedded threat in this reply is another point in support. The author of this email cannot substantiate his claim with proof. No person can destroy another person's career no matter how big or where he is placed. Any attempt to do this amount to slander & libel, which can land that person and his program in serious legal trouble. This issue can be argued on its merits with supporting evidence, not by underhanded tricks & threats. If there is a list of fellows that can be put up in support of a denial, that will suffice to prove this view wrong.

Last edited:

http://www.umdnj.edu/uhnetweb/html/communityconnections/missedeventSept2k6.htm

Here is another link that shows the vested interests at play in these programs. There are several overlapping people in these places with one common base- being Islamists. It is good to help people. There should be free medical camps etc for all people who cannot afford it, not for Muslims or Christians or Jews. If one truly believes that all humans are equal (as all people living in US should since they are swearing by the flag & constitution) then there should be no Christian or Muslim societies. There is nothing wrong in being from a particular religion, but in being an educationist & someone who recruits & trains, being biased by one's religion is not only wrong but a contravention of the law.

Most of them are member of this society where they pick & choose each other:

http://www.imana.org/index.html

Just goes on to prove the point & their practices. Now whether you want to believe in what is written here or not is your issue, but just remember what happened in Sept 2001 & how secretly it was done. This is how these guys function. They will keep denying what they do & lie with a straight face but continue with their abhorent & unfair practice.

Last edited:
I don't much about the politics of Interventional Vascular Neurology, but I can tell you a few facts:

a) Vascular Neurology, just like my subspecialty, Epilepsy, is a very small world. Practitioners know each other reasonably well. In every subspecialty, there is dirty laundry, but you would not advance your career by spreading rumors or putting down people who would potentially review your grants or papers.

b) I personally know one of the fellows in the program in question. He was a former resident in one of the 3 Neurology programs were I have been faculty. He is a fantastic clinician who scored in the 99% of the NRITE. I don't know his religion, and I don't care about it. If he had applied to Epilepsy, I would have taken him over pretty much anybody.

c) I also personally know one of the faculty members of that program. He was an outstanding resident at a top 10 residency (while I was his chief resident). He subsequently also trained at another top 10 program for fellowship. If I was chair anywhere in the country with need for a faculty member of that area of expertise, I would hire him. He would be a tremendous asset for ANY program in the nation.

d) It is not uncommon that people with similar ancestry look for each other. That is how waves of people immigrated to America. People share a culture. There is nothing wrong with that! Nevertheless, there should be clear and transparent policies for selection of fellows, faculty, and faculty leadership. I do not know the specific case being discussed, and as such, I refrain from judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.