1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Strong Acids : Particle Dissociation

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by Winterbourne, May 12, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Winterbourne

Winterbourne

May 7, 2014
    Hi! I am looking at a review question about HCl.

"The molar mass of HCl is 36.5g/mol. Therefore, 73 g would be 2.0 moles, but since it is a strong acid, you would get 4.0 moles of particles (in water). "

Can someone please explain the italicized part to me? Two moles of HCl gives off 2 moles of H+ ions. So what is this "4.0 moles of particles?"

Thank you.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Sammy1024

Sammy1024

Dec 12, 2013
    Strong acids completely dissociate in water so you would get 2 mol H+ and 2 mol Cl-. Thus 4 mol of oarticles.

Winterbourne likes this.
  4. Winterbourne

Winterbourne

May 7, 2014

Thanks! I feel so silly that I didn't think of this. It is so obvious now. I've been doing questions all day….. UGH! Can I erase this post :oops:

5. Sammy1024

Sammy1024

Dec 12, 2013
    Hahahah it's okay! You can only improve from here! :]]]