Texas Nontrad With Strong Service Background Looking for OOS Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrProteinSNAFU

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Texas nontraditional applicant applying TMDSAS broadly this cycle and looking for thoughtful OOS MD/DO suggestions to consider depending on how my MCAT shakes out.

I already plan to apply to all TMDSAS schools, but I want to build a realistic and mission-compatible OOS list rather than randomly adding schools.

Background:

- Texas resident finishing a BS in Rehabilitation Studies
- cGPA around 3.1-3.2 with a strong recent upward trend
- sGPA around 3.2-3.3
- MCAT scheduled for late June / early July

Most of my application strength is probably in experience rather than raw stats. I have several thousand hours working full-time in community mental health/crisis services and several years in aviation operations/logistics roles involving high responsibility and decision-making under pressure. I also have multi-year search and rescue involvement and independent long-form writing focused on healthcare systems and public health issues.

Strong interests right now are psychiatry, family medicine, emergency medicine, rural/underserved populations, and systems-level healthcare challenges.

I know my GPA is below average for many MD programs, so I am trying to build a smart list rather than a fantasy list. I would especially appreciate recommendations for schools that tend to value:

- strong life experience/nontraditional backgrounds
- service orientation
- upward academic trends
- community/rural/public health missions
- mature applicants with substantial work history

Happy to hear both MD and DO suggestions. Thanks!
 
Texas nontraditional applicant applying TMDSAS broadly this cycle and looking for thoughtful OOS MD/DO suggestions to consider depending on how my MCAT shakes out.

I already plan to apply to all TMDSAS schools, but I want to build a realistic and mission-compatible OOS list rather than randomly adding schools.

Background:

- Texas resident finishing a BS in Rehabilitation Studies
- cGPA around 3.1-3.2 with a strong recent upward trend
- sGPA around 3.2-3.3
- MCAT scheduled for late June / early July

Most of my application strength is probably in experience rather than raw stats. I have several thousand hours working full-time in community mental health/crisis services and several years in aviation operations/logistics roles involving high responsibility and decision-making under pressure. I also have multi-year search and rescue involvement and independent long-form writing focused on healthcare systems and public health issues.

Strong interests right now are psychiatry, family medicine, emergency medicine, rural/underserved populations, and systems-level healthcare challenges.

I know my GPA is below average for many MD programs, so I am trying to build a smart list rather than a fantasy list. I would especially appreciate recommendations for schools that tend to value:

- strong life experience/nontraditional backgrounds
- service orientation
- upward academic trends
- community/rural/public health missions
- mature applicants with substantial work history

Happy to hear both MD and DO suggestions. Thanks!
I know you want to plan but nobody can create a school list for you until you know your MCAT score.

If you want to submit AMCAS anyhow submit it with just one school listed. Then once you know your score you can add more schools with help on a list, or if it turns out low you can apply on AACOMAS instead
 
I know you want to plan but nobody can create a school list for you until you know your MCAT score.

If you want to submit AMCAS anyhow submit it with just one school listed. Then once you know your score you can add more schools with help on a list, or if it turns out low you can apply on AACOMAS instead
Fair enough. Thank you.