Strong applicant with one terrible outlier...can I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorplz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...

-I graduated phi beta kappa/magna cum laude, cum gpa 3.88 sci gpa 3.8

-I have a ton of clinical experience (shadowing and hands on international volunteer work) as well as non-medically related volunteer work, leadership, publications....etc...

.....I'm not worried about GPA/Extracurriculars

I took the MCAT for the first time about 2 years ago and got
PS: 9 Verbal: 9 BS: 10 writing: O (Cum=28O)

I decided to study again...and everything was going great. BUT on test day I completely messed up my timing on the verbal section and ended up with
PS: 12 :thumbup: Verbal: 7 :confused: BS: 11 :thumbup: Writing: Q :thumbup: (Cum=30Q)

I am very worried that my 7 Verbal will screen me out of consideration before admission committees look at the rest of my application.

Basically, I need to know.....

what should I do now?? I have everything lined up to apply June 1 (Letters writers on board, AMCAS app virtually complete). I am worried that it would be worse to take the MCAT for a third time, plus it would delay my application this year.

Any words of wisdom? :xf:

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

For those allopathic med schools that primarily consider the most recent MCAT score, you have a problem, as there are few US MD med schools with a VS bottom tenth percentile of 7 or less. Use the MSAR to see which they are.

Your best chances will lie with those schools that create a composite of your best subscores (the best set), if any of them are appropriate for you to apply to.

A strategy to consider would be to go ahead and submit in early June, to just a few schools so you can get the transcripts verified. You'd prefer schools that use the composite system. Retake the MCAT ASAP, since you feel the score is a fluke and not a true representation of your ability. When that score comes back, add additional schools that are appropriate to the new score.

This will help, but call schools to see if this two-year old information is still true: How schools consider multiple MCAT scores: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=566616

You might also consider applying to few DO schools where a VS of 7 is not an impediment.

Last edited:
Hey Catalystik, are you a current medical student yourself? I wonder why you know so much about the application process and are willing to donate so much timing answering questions here.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP: check with your state schools to see if they have an auto cutoff on verbal. In other words, investigate the policies of specific schools before assuming you need to retake the MCAT.

Also, it doesn't sound like you have been prepping to retake, and that it would be foolish to do that IMO just for this cycle...

Tough position - personally, I would do some research on specific schools, and depending on that, make a decision on retaking...if you do another retake, you really need to nail it and remove any lingering doubts an adcom might have about you.

Last edited:
Hey Catalystik, are you a current medical student yourself? I wonder why you know so much about the application process and are willing to donate so much timing answering questions here.
Longhorn, however long it's been, once you've applied you never (perhaps unfortunately) forget. I hope you'll keep dropping by once in a while to share your hard-won expertise after you start med school.

Longhorn, however long it's been, once you've applied you never (perhaps unfortunately) forget. I hope you'll keep dropping by once in a while to share your hard-won expertise after you start med school.

Please tell me this story had a happy ending. It would be only fair considering how much of a gentleman you are and the thoughtfulness of your advice. :(

Please tell me this story had a happy ending. It would be only fair considering how much of a gentleman you are and the thoughtfulness of your advice. :(
Of course it had a happy ending. I am well entrenched upstream in the allopathic pipeline. Being an XX, however, I cannot claim to be a gentleman.

Of course it had a happy ending. I am well entrenched upstream in the allopathic pipeline. Being an XX, however, I cannot claim to be a gentleman.

Haha, my apologies Madame.