Strong numbers... weak ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbzfmoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year bio & psych major at UC berkeley. I have a 3.93 GPA and a 36O on my MCAT. I am worried because unlike many of you, my ECs are rather unimpressive. My only activities are volunteering at a hospital, tutoring, and SOME research (which is mainly just helping out the grad students in my lab). Also I am not planning on taking a gap year between college and med school. Will my few ECs severely limit my options for med school? Could anyone give me some advice as to how to strengthen my application? Anything is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have anything to list for physician shadowing, nonmedical, noncampus community service (was the tutoring paid?), or leadership? Is there any chance of getting additional responsibility in your lab, maybe suggesting and taking on your own project? Teaching would also be valued. A unique hobby, avocation, or artistic endeavor would help you to stand out.

With your outstanding numbers, a med school somewhere will no doubt happily take you as you are, but for a better chance at more selective schools, particularly those closer to home, I'd agree that you need a stronger application.