Strong vs Weak app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjj7171

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was planning on applying to pharmacy school in summer 2015 so that I could hopefully get in by fall 2016. However, I have most of my pre-reqs done and now I'm realizng that after this next semester I might have all my pre-reqs needed to get into a particular pharmacy school. The problem is I would have to cram for the January PCAT, apply at the last minute, and would only be able to apply to maybe 1 or 2 schools (which is where i REALLY want to go)

My question is, does it make sense to apply to pharmacy school now even though I would have a weak application or should I wait until next year before I apply. Would I lose anything by applying now? I have a 4.0 GPA, been working as a pharm tech since September, in a chemistry club, and have some leadership/tutoring qualities. All I have left to take is organic 2, A and P 2, biochem, and micro.

I am so confused! Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

It won't hurt to apply and might save you a year of your life. I was accepted last month and still have to complete ochem 1&2, micro, physics and calculus.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I decided in mid-July that I wanted to apply ED to a school who's deadline was in early September. I crammed for the PCAT without having take a lot of the pre-reqs and did very well. I kind of just threw together an application and I was accepted and it saved a year for me as well as a year of scholarships I can now use towards my PharmD. I say go for it! You never know! I thought my application was very weak and rushed but apparently it was good enough.

That's four pre-req classes, and fairly tough ones at that. That's quite a bit on your plate for one semester in addition to whatever other responsibilities you have.

I would save your sanity and wait until next year to apply. I was in your shoes last year where I could have crammed the last couple of classes to apply so I could have been starting this fall, but chose to wait a year, and I'm very glad I did. I think it would be better to make sure you do well on your remaining classes and keep your 4.0. I'm not sure if many schools would take you with that many pre-reqs missing and no PCAT.

Thank you all for your good advice! I don't think all my pre-reqs would work in one semester and i would have to take biochem in the summer. I'm not sure cramming would be a good idea.