Structual organic and biochemistry material?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrisebril1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am realizing I am rather weak on questions regarding structural organic and biochemistry.

IE: What is the different between a reducing sugar and nonreducing sugar. What is an aldose/ketose and a furanose/pyranose. Alpha and Beta bond configurations.

My organic teacher for all I can remember never went into structures and I took a human biochemistry course and we never looked at anything but normal human structural configurations for biochemicals.

Can anybody direct me to a resource that consolidates the structural organic and bio chemistry material that one should understand for the MCAT?

I am under the impression I do not need to memroize the structures of carbohydrates (with the exception of it not hurting to memorize glucose) but what do I need to understand and know regarding the differences between these sugars and other biochemicals.

Bond configurations? Anomeric carbon (something I had to look up).

Honestly the whole thing (IE BR Bio Chapter # 6 Passage #12) first 4 questions *73-76) and a few other questions later regarding actual structure of biochemicals in passages are really throwing me.

Any suggestions as to a resource of consolidated "things" that I just need to sit down and "get".

It's a major weak spot for me, and know it will come up later in the review of the chapter material, but I feel I should go over it now, to get a simple "foundation" prior to hitting the strategy and BR coverage of these topics.

Even if you can't offer a source. Maybe just a list of terms that would get me started.

Members don't see this ad.

Just stick with a good review book like BR or TPRH. They'll go over what you actually need to know. If you're really considered, get the books early. Most people say BR and TPRH go into too much detail for O-chem and Bio, so you'll be fine.