Structural cardiology application timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Limvostov

Gold Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the typical application cycle for structural programs? Interventional applications were 18 months ahead of the start date, but it seems TAVR is so widespread now that I would like to finish that and other advanced procedure training. All the programs say to inquire about application dates, but does anyone know the general time frame?

Members don't see this ad.

When is the typical application cycle for structural programs? Interventional applications were 18 months ahead of the start date, but it seems TAVR is so widespread now that I would like to finish that and other advanced procedure training. All the programs say to inquire about application dates, but does anyone know the general time frame?

Widespread but overtraining has led to a glut of TAVR trained docs. I doubt that there will be even more need tbh

I don’t think there’s a single application or specific timeline, as structural heart intervention is a non ACGME accredited fellowship. I believe SCAI has a list of available programs on their website

Thanks! That's what I'm finding out too. I still want to pursue it so I will plan on it. Spoke to a couple programs and it looks doable. Maybe after next year I'll change my mind, but right now it seems in line with my goals despite possible oversaturation of the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are roughly 5000 interventional cardiologists in the US. 20 - 25% are over the age of 60. There are about 300 interventional fellows a year. The rate of attrition plus increase in demand is greater than the number of trainees.

Currently there are somewhere around 70,000 tavr performed in the US. This number is expected to double in 5 years.

With all the senior structural docs retiring and the rapid increase in need, there will be plenty of structural jobs.

There are roughly 5000 interventional cardiologists in the US. 20 - 25% are over the age of 60. There are about 300 interventional fellows a year. The rate of attrition plus increase in demand is greater than the number of trainees.

Currently there are somewhere around 70,000 tavr performed in the US. This number is expected to double in 5 years.

With all the senior structural docs retiring and the rapid increase in need, there will be plenty of structural jobs.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from but this is too simplistic. Yes there are anticipated lot of IC jobs opening due to retiring docs. However we have been churning out dozens of structural trained IC fellows over the last 5-10 years many of whom have been in practice not doing structural... who do you think is going to jump on those opportunities once they open up? Also structural cardiology hasn’t been around long enough for senior cardiologists to exist practicing it. There aren’t many 68 year old IC docs doing TAVRs.

There are structural jobs... you have to be willing to be very very flexible with location (meaning rural). If you are not, it will be tough. Rapid increase in need - again see my first paragraph. I generally think outcomes are poor going to the doc who does 20 TAVRs per year vs the one who does 200, so more and more I generally think these are going to remain concentrated in big centers

I am not saying don’t do it. If you love it, do it. If you’re happy doing IC and/or peripheral and/or gen cards, then burning a year more of training has poor gains. I anticipate the IC job market getting better and better overall

There are several publications that gave me those numbers. A lot of the docs who pioneered tavr are still practicing and they are all well above 60. The docs who picked it up without doing a structural year are generally more senior.

I was offered two jobs doing tavr in major metro areas.