Jul 17, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I struggle with topics that deal with visualization. For example, in high school I hated geometry, but I was great with any other type of math (algebra, pre-calculus, calculus). I was great with general chemistry but hated topics like stereochemistry and Fischer projections in organic chemistry. With anatomy, it wasn't really much of a problem, but sometimes I had trouble with looking at pictures of cross sections and understanding what I was seeing or what it would look like in real life in 3D. On the other hand, I was really good with physiology.

Is this going to be a big problem in medical school? Is there anything I can do about this?

Anastomoses

secretly an end artery
Removed
Account on Hold
May 11, 2013
Texas, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
I'm sure you'll be fine. Embryology is the only thing that requires any imaginative visualization. Interesting I'm a bit of your opposite - geometry was cake, algebra was difficult to conceptualize initially. Prefer organic to general chem. Cross-sections are a matter of seeing them a few times and connecting the plane. A lot of physiology (cvs, respiration, renal) requires visualization of processes, as well. So it should be fine.

Last edited:
May 28, 2013
north east
Status
Medical Student
I struggle with topics that deal with visualization. For example, in high school I hated geometry, but I was great with any other type of math (algebra, pre-calculus, calculus). I was great with general chemistry but hated topics like stereochemistry and Fischer projections in organic chemistry. With anatomy, it wasn't really much of a problem, but sometimes I had trouble with looking at pictures of cross sections and understanding what I was seeing or what it would look like in real life in 3D. On the other hand, I was really good with physiology.

Is this going to be a big problem in medical school? Is there anything I can do about this?
I have the same issue as you and have found that (though it takes more struggle/time/energy), I can find methods to wrap my brain around topics that require visualization. For example, with stereochemistry, I just found other methods to answer questions that didn't require me to rotate things in my head. I think with some research online, you can find methods for most topics that don't require the visualization. Another thing you might try is getting some of those puzzle books and trying to increase your skills with visualization.

PHellmuth

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
I didn't have any issues with this, and geometry was probably my least favorite class ever.