Struggling in gen Chem , should i worry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knightwing47

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i have been working really hard in Gen chem but i don't see anyway i can finish with anything better then a C+/B- . I know that's not ideal for my science GPA but my bigger concern is how that reflects my ability to preform should i get in a DPT program. Does struggling now suggest much more serious troubles down the line?

Members don't see this ad.

I finished with a B- and I ended up retaking it. It's not a big deal. I would aim for at least a B in all your pre-reqs.

I got a c+ in both and retook them and got an A. I am a reapplicant and I would say that those two C's did hurt my chances.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Reapplying this year as well. I was a huge immature goof-off in my first years of undergraduate and now it's really, really hurting my chances for my desired career/future. I received a couple B-, a couple Cs in my prerequisite courses. However, I finished taking about 5-6 courses post-bacc and have a 4.0 GPA. As it's hard for me to sit in and petition to get into those general science courses where I am (40 people petitioning for like a 30 seat class, it's a madhouse on the first day), I am hoping that the upswing in grades will reflect me more than poor performances six years ago.

Reapplying this year as well. I was a huge immature goof-off in my first years of undergraduate and now it's really, really hurting my chances for my desired career/future. I received a couple B-, a couple Cs in my prerequisite courses. However, I finished taking about 5-6 courses post-bacc and have a 4.0 GPA. As it's hard for me to sit in and petition to get into those general science courses where I am (40 people petitioning for like a 30 seat class, it's a madhouse on the first day), I am hoping that the upswing in grades will reflect me more than poor performances six years ago.

You should be fine! Keep up the good work! Once I took my classes over I received invites for interviews so hopefully everything goes well.

It won't have any impact on how you perform in the program. I'm halfway through PT school and have yet to come across anything related to chemistry

It won't have any impact on how you perform in the program. I'm halfway through PT school and have yet to come across anything related to chemistry

Basic concepts might come back in pathology and physiology but not much elsewhere. Physics comes up a little in physical agents/modalities but no where else. The pre-reqs are tests to see how well you can assimilate scientific information.

Kevin

I don't think a B- in chemistry will hurt you too badly when you're actually in PT school. I think the actual programs will be more anatomy/physiology based, so not being extremely good at chemistry is not a deal breaker once you're actually in PT school. If that's what you're asking.