Struggling in Neuro... Recommendations on Practice Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dhooy7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my second neuro exam. First one wasn't as bad as it was straight-up memorization for anatomy. This one my professor asked tons on where is the lesion and had a hard time applying the pathway to the question. Also there was a lot of a picture (of medulla, pons, or midbrain) and if it was SVE, GVE, and etc. I had no idea based on the pictures. I'm really struggling and didn't except this.

I did very poorly and wondering if anyone has suggestions. I use Firecracker but the Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases. I was going to use the Canadian website. Additionally, I think I just need a resource with questions that are pertinent to the areas I struggled with. There was a short turn around from the first exam (less than 1 week) and I struggled. I'd appreciate any advice as I didn't get enough passes on the info. I struggled to apply the appropriate tract to the case, and figuring out where the lesion was. I honestly did very little practice questions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Try Haines Fundamental neuroscience for basic and clinical applications. Some people in school studied from that and got good grades. You should be able to find it online ;)

We are using Blumenfeld. I was also recommended USMLE Road Map Neuroscience and Lippincotts Neuroscience. I'll check it out thx!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bruh go watch the OG aka Dr. Ryan and his B&B video on the rules of 4. It’s life changing. You won’t miss a lesion question ever again

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 2 users
I had watched it previously but had not done practice with it. Obviously I didnt understand how to use it and know it well enough. Thanks!

I honestly cannot do poorly in any other courses. I need to do well on this final. I'm struggling as I normally use outside resources but haven't found much that aligns with Blumenfeld.

You try the usual BRS, Guyton, pretest practice questions?

Yes and Lippincotts Neuroanatomy. I just found these books. Exam next week.

I second Blumenfeld’s neuroanatomy through clinical cases

Videos work best and don't get much out of textbooks which is tough. Blumenfeld does not align with outside resources well.

Videos work best and don't get much out of textbooks which is tough. Blumenfeld does not align with outside resources well.
It does. We use blumenfeld as a primary text as well. Find what you need help with from blumenfeld, then go to B&B and look up the term in the index, you'll find the corresponding video. Here's the thing though; if you learn everything from B&B/Pathoma/FA, it won't matter how well things line up with your lectures/blumenfeld. You'll have all the same information at the end.

Pathoma does a great job of explaining neuro diseases; sketchy path does as well but the videos are a bit long.

I had my second neuro exam. First one wasn't as bad as it was straight-up memorization for anatomy. This one my professor asked tons on where is the lesion and had a hard time applying the pathway to the question. Also there was a lot of a picture (of medulla, pons, or midbrain) and if it was SVE, GVE, and etc. I had no idea based on the pictures. I'm really struggling and didn't except this.

I did very poorly and wondering if anyone has suggestions. I use Firecracker but the Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases. I was going to use the Canadian website. Additionally, I think I just need a resource with questions that are pertinent to the areas I struggled with. There was a short turn around from the first exam (less than 1 week) and I struggled. I'd appreciate any advice as I didn't get enough passes on the info. I struggled to apply the appropriate tract to the case, and figuring out where the lesion was. I honestly did very little practice questions. Thanks!

Haines Atlas. Also there's a rule of 4s B&B video on youtube. very helpful in localizing brainstem lesions.

also draw the tracts over and over until it's second nature to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user