Is it difficult to match back to Chicago for Neuro/IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drthedude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Chicago and have regional ties there but my fiancé is back in Chicago as a DPT and I would love to match back there! I currently attend WCUCOM and we have matched back in Chicago/midwest but not for Neuro/IM. I know I will have to do well on boards and do auditions back home 4th year but is Chicago a realistic goal attending a DO school in the south? I would be fine with MI and WI as well!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Zero issues matching community IM programs in Chicago. Academic will be much much tougher tho.

The Chicago neuro programs will be much tougher as a DO not from the Midwest region because they’re all academic. So if you want neuro highly recommend an away at one of the Chicago programs if you can

Reactions: 1 users
Academic IM at UIC, Loyola and maybe even rush is doable based on your step scores, agree with doing away at above places if possible. UChicago or Northwestern are out of the question unless your an absolute rockstar and/or have a connection.

Members don't see this ad :)
Academic IM at UIC, Loyola and maybe even rush is doable based on your step scores, agree with doing away at above places if possible. UChicago or Northwestern are out of the question unless your an absolute rockstar and/or have a connection.
Will definitely be applying for aways my 4th year in Chicago, I do have a connection at Northwestern but with a FM PD in the suburbs, will that help? How about for neuro? Thanks!

Will definitely be applying for aways my 4th year in Chicago, I do have a connection at Northwestern but with a FM PD in the suburbs, will that help? How about for neuro? Thanks!
I dont think an FM PD will play a role for IM or neuro but can reach out to him and see what he says, also depends where you went to school. I also went to school at WCUCOM and the vast majority of my interviews for IM, both academic and community were from the south. For Neuro I think it will be the same as IM but the aways should help. Also signaling and saying in your personal statement that you have connections to Chicago should help.

I dont think an FM PD will play a role for IM or neuro but can reach out to him and see what he says, also depends where you went to school. I also went to school at WCUCOM and the vast majority of my interviews for IM, both academic and community were from the south. For Neuro I think it will be the same as IM but the aways should help. Also signaling and saying in your personal statement that you have connections to Chicago should help.
Went to undergrad at UIC! I did notice during the most recent match a lot of Midwest and East coast? I’m hoping growing up in the city and Midwest will help my chances with aways and matching back in Chicago, if for IM would it be possible at UIC, Loyola etc?

Yes I had 230’s step1 /240’s step 2 and some research got plenty of academic interviews from UIC/Loyola tier of programs. Though I never applied to Chicago programs as I had no intention of moving up north, if you do an away and make it clear in your personal statement and signal to those programs you have a shot. You will need to do well on step 2 though and try to get involved in some research(even if just case reports or small studies at WCUCOM). But mid/low mid and lower tier academic IM programs are fairly DO friendly

Yes I had 230’s step1 /240’s step 2 and some research got plenty of academic interviews from UIC/Loyola tier of programs. Though I never applied to Chicago programs as I had no intention of moving up north, if you do an away and make it clear in your personal statement and signal to those programs you have a shot. You will need to do well on step 2 though and try to get involved in some research(even if just case reports or small studies at WCUCOM). But mid/low mid and lower tier academic IM programs are fairly DO friendly
I have an anomaly I am writing about for a poster at WCUCOM as well some summer research coming so hopefully that helps!