Struggling pre dent.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDDSEtta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm currently a psych major transfer to university now a junior after getting AA degree. I'm having a hard time taking my sciences with the load of psychology classes and I have withdrawn from chm1.. and bio2.... because it was too difficult .. I've taken bio1. . And received a B at my CC.. but I'm asking should I just focus on my psych degree and come back as post bac... or take my psych courses at the University and my pre reqs at a CC since it's easier at a CC... what would schools think ... UF and Nova Howard are my top choices .. i Shadow a dentist currently in the pre dental club at school. HELP please

Members don't see this ad.

You can't handle pysch classes and basic science course together? Why do you think you could handle dental school when the load is more than double the amount of credits?

Maybe you should sit down and actually learn how to study and not just take the easy way out and take those classes at CC.

Ok so... what do you recommend because either way I'm gonna work to get into a dental school. ... so what do you recommend on how to study

Members don't see this ad :)
And i am recently getting out of a serious issue in my life which messed me up a lot in the last year.... a lot had happened and I've recently taken myself out of it.... I've done basic science with trig and Calc 1 before. My Transfer GPA WAS A 3.5

I could do the work but I'm just asking for advice not criticism

Thats great that you were able to overcome those issues in your life, but I don't think you should take the dental pre-reqs at a CC, it doesn't look good at all. Take all your courses psych and pre-reqs at your university, but just learn to better manage your time and build effective study skills. Since you're a junior now you should have some idea on what works and doesn't work for you, just tweak them to better suit your schedule and whatnot until you find success in your classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Don't take your pre-reqs at a CC. That puts you a step behind in the game since most applicants will be applying having taken their classes at a university, which is notably harder than a CC. (Not saying you can't get in with only CC credits).

Take your science classes one step at a time. Instead of taking 2 science classes and 2 psych classes in the same quarter/semester, just take 1 science class. Even if it takes you an extra year to complete your pre-reqs, it's better than doing poorly and finishing a year early. But remember that dental school moves at 5x the pace of undergrad... so you need to be prepared to handle the rigor.

Going from CC to uni takes some adjusting since the pace is much faster. Don't stress out too much about it and just go with the flow. Examine your study habits... are you going to the library to "study" for 5 hours, but end up getting little done (because you end up browsing the web or chatting most of the time)? Are you reviewing and absorbing material that you are taught every day? If you're confused about something, do you search for answers or just shrug it off?

My best method of learning is to talk out what I learn. I sit in front of my notes and explain them out loud (as if I'm teaching someone else the material), even if I'm sitting by myself in my room. If I know it, I can teach it. People learn differently, so you need to find what works best for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't take your pre-reqs at a CC. That puts you a step behind in the game since most applicants will be applying having taken their classes at a university, which is notably harder than a CC. (Not saying you can't get in with only CC credits).

Take your science classes one step at a time. Instead of taking 2 science classes and 2 psych classes in the same quarter/semester, just take 1 science class. Even if it takes you an extra year to complete your pre-reqs, it's better than doing poorly and finishing a year early. But remember that dental school moves at 5x the pace of undergrad... so you need to be prepared to handle the rigor.

Going from CC to uni takes some adjusting since the pace is much faster. Don't stress out too much about it and just go with the flow. Examine your study habits... are you going to the library to "study" for 5 hours, but end up getting little done (because you end up browsing the web or chatting most of the time)? Are you reviewing and absorbing material that you are taught every day? If you're confused about something, do you search for answers or just shrug it off?

My best method of learning is to talk out what I learn. I sit in front of my notes and explain them out loud (as if I'm teaching someone else the material), even if I'm sitting by myself in my room. If I know it, I can teach it. People learn differently, so you need to find what works best for you.

This guy pretty much covers it.

I just wantdd to tack on a couple more options for you to try out.

Another effective method to retain material is to not wait until a couple of days before the test to review the material. Review it as soon as you have time, preferably that same day. Some people can cram, some people cant. But I dont recommend cramming, since you need to know all this stuff for the DAT and cramming wont help you understand.

Get a tutor. It might be expensive but finding the right tutor can help you see the material in a different light. A good tutor will do anything in his power to help you. I usually have my students bring back their quizes (tests are usually a bit harder to get ahold of) and figure out the rough spots.

These are just suggestions, most wont work for you. But find the one that will. You seem determined to do it.

Like others have said, you are having trouble in relatively easy science courses. It will be a hard road. But you can get through it.

Reactions: 1 user
Not the same situation, but I kinda had a learning curve when going into college my freshman year. In highschool I basically got by playing sports (which more or less got me into college), taking relatively easy classes, and schmoozing with the teachers. I always kinda thought I was smart, but would never do hw or anything cause I figured sports would get me to college anyway, and I had been committed since beginning of junior year. I graduated high school with a 3.25 ish gpa. Upon entering college I really buckled down, realized sports wouldn't get me much further. I felt kinda behind in most of my classes (kids who took ap bio and chem and what not had an advantage) and I kinda had to teach myself how to study and get good grades.

But basically, u just gotta find what works for you. First and foremost, are you a morning person or a night time person? Im a bigtime night person, so I would grab some caffeine pills and crank out work at night, its great for me cause most people aren't awake and there are much less distractions. But also, find a place that is quiet where you can always go, find BIG tables so you can spread all your stuff out, turn your phone off or tape it to the ceiling, keep ur computer away unless you need it, and burry urself in ur books or notes.

If you don't know already, figure out what kind of studier you are and what helps you most. Some people like working in groups where they can get help and help explain things to others. Some people like writing on big white boards where they can see it and kinda get put on the spot. Others, like me, prefer to work alone. I feel like I get distracted when with other people cause theyre asking me questions and less work gets done in general. I definitely try to learn what I was taught in class as soon as possible, when it is fresh, and I mean really learn it. It is much easier to review something u already know the night before the test, than learn it for the first time. SO basically, I learn things right after class (that night), and then starting a few days before the test I re copy my notes and fully explain processes or difficult, in depth things outloud or write them down, and im good to go for the test day.

But most importantly, you need to be devoted. Like most kids on here will tell you, for the most part, no one knows what they are learning about before they are taught it. They put the time in to learn it and understand it, its not easy, but if you work hard it gets easier. For me, each year, each class, has been easier to get a good grade in than the previous one. Take no nights off (except weekends), and get seriously dedicated to doing well, and youll be fine

Thank I am definitely a night person. I could study all night. ... even after u leave work I could. You're right. I usually learn some material and cram before test and it isn't the way to go at alll...

Thank I am definitely a night person. I could study all night. ... even after u leave work I could. You're right. I usually learn some material and cram before test and it isn't the way to go at alll...
It's great to realize that you have been cramming. Try to do some adjustment and see if it helps! Good luck buddy!

I have the same problem load wise Im killing myself as a biology major takinhg 4-5 science courses at a time....gpa is suffering...i just always figured it looked bad to take one science class at a time ....it looks like you cant keep up with the load meaning you wont be able to keep up in dental school aswell!? any advice

I have the same problem load wise Im killing myself as a biology major takinhg 4-5 science courses at a time....gpa is suffering...i just always figured it looked bad to take one science class at a time ....it looks like you cant keep up with the load meaning you wont be able to keep up in dental school aswell!? any advice
Well. I just decided to take my psych courses and take pre reqs at a community college. The school I want to go to is associate very much with the community school. And I'm a non traditional student. My niece is a bio major and wish she did psychology. She hates her life right now. But I would say take it one step at a time and get tutoring. I was a bio major and before it was too late I switched to another science that has all the pre reqs I needed in it... (neuroscience and behavior aka psych bio)

Well. I just decided to take my psych courses and take pre reqs at a community college. The school I want to go to is associate very much with the community school. And I'm a non traditional student. My niece is a bio major and wish she did psychology. She hates her life right now. But I would say take it one step at a time and get tutoring. I was a bio major and before it was too late I switched to another science that has all the pre reqs I needed in it... (neuroscience and behavior aka psych bio)

You came and asked for advice and literally did what everyone said not to do. :rofl:

You came and asked for advice and literally did what everyone said not to do. :rofl:
Yep because I spoke with people from nova southeastern who went from the local community school and into to med and dental at nova. ...

Yep because I spoke with people from nova southeastern who went from the local community school and into to med and dental at nova. ...

Interviewed at Nova and just because that someone did it, doesnt mean it's a norm.