Struggling Sophomore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOPLZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm from the University of Richmond and have had a bumpy first two years. I only have a cumulative GPA around 2.88 and have gotten mostly B's and B+'s in science courses. I want to wait to apply after senior year to get my grades up. I want to get my overall GPA up to a 3.2 with science around the same and hopefully do well on the MCAT. Is there still any hope? Thanks a ton.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
I'm from the University of Richmond and have had a bumpy first two years. I only have a cumulative GPA around 2.88 and have gotten mostly B's and B+'s in science courses. I want to wait to apply after senior year to get my grades up. I want to get my overall GPA up to a 3.2 with science around the same and hopefully do well on the MCAT. Is there still any hope? Thanks a ton.

Yes, there's hope. Actual GPA is important, but a strong upward trend is looked upon very favorably as well.

You need to focus. Look at what's holding you back in life. Is it a lack of sleep? Personal issues? Simply a lack of preparation? You've got to fix it (I had all three & I'm a *****). As someone who also had a bumpy undergrad career, there is no worse feeling than realizing that you missed an opportunity to fix your problems. It feels even worse when you see all of your friends get into medical school.

You should also be focusing on the rest of your application. Are you volunteering? Have you done research (not as critical in DO schools, but it can still help)? Are you involved in any organizations/important hobbies/leadership? Do you have clinical experience / shadowing? These are all things to consider that will make you a strong candidate. Schools aren't looking only for a GPA and MCAT. They're looking for a person who has lived a rich, productive, and successful life.

That said, GPA and MCAT are still critically important. Although I'm sure many admissions committees would be confident that a great person with lower scores could survive medical school and go on to be an amazing doctor, not many schools are willing to sacrifice matriculation stats too much. Unfortunately, with high stats comes prestige, and prestige opens doors.

Finally - the MCAT is your place to shine. Study well - there are plenty of resources on SDN on how to prepare for the MCAT effectively and efficiently. Set aside at least 2-3 months for prep so you aren't cramming information and practice in. Take the MCAT once and crush it. You don't want to have to worry about taking it a second time, and a strong first testing can be seen perhaps be used, along with an upward trend in GPA, as evidence of your maturity and ability.

Best of luck to you. You have an uphill battle ahead. Do what is necessary to secure the future you want.

Yes there is hope, especially bc DO schools do grade replacement. If you get your GPA a 3.2 and get a solid MCAT (>30) you should be fine. I had a 3.21 overall (my science sucked 3.06) and a 32P (11ps,11vr,10bs) MCAT and I got in. Just keep your head in the game for the rest of the way through.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. What I am planning on doing is retake a science class I received a C in and work towards that A. I am also a lazy kid who likes to procrastinate and study the last minute so I am working on that and will begin to study in advance. I however will be applying my junior year because all the classes I have left are upper level science courses.

Just study hard, have good volunteering and like everyone will say rock the MCAT. Taking mine next year so nervous :scared:

Thanks everyone. It's just a little stressful. But there's still half of college left and an MCAT. I'm also doing EMT and completing a research journal article to be published so I'm hoping that'll be a huge plus. Good luck to you all as well.

Just want to point out that those will not be a "huge" plus and will NOT compensate for a low GPA/ MCAT. They are soft factors, and while they will enhance your application, they are not huge pluses. Do your best to bring your GPA up and score well on the MCAT (I'm a prime example of someone that had a poor sophomore GPA and a 4.0 my senior year).

Thanks everyone. It's just a little stressful. But there's still half of college left and an MCAT. I'm also doing EMT and completing a research journal article to be published so I'm hoping that'll be a huge plus. Good luck to you all as well.