Struggling to find research opportunities at my current program...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Strange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

PGY-2 here. I am at a university affiliated IM program with in-house Cards, IC, and EP fellowships. Our faculty are super busy, and other than a few of them, none are interested in scholarship. It is next to impossible to even get a meeting with most of these attendings because they are busy and/or don't participate in research. All our residents are capable of are case reports just in the off-chance you take care of said patient.

I am starting in our CCU this Monday and am hoping to find some opportunity for scholarship. Will let the attending know that this is one of my goals for the month. Otherwise, I have a few case reports pending, I just submitted an IRB proposal for a chart study, and I have my name on two JACC abstracts. I did win a reward for a Cardiology-related topic that I presented at a regional conference, but I think my scholarship is lacking.

I am just so frustrated. I came to this program because of the fellowships, but the opportunities for research is sparse. I do not care where I match especially as DO so I just need as much help as I can to boost my CV...

/rant

Members don't see this ad.

Are you able to connect with previous residents who successfully matched cardiology from your program? If so, would definitely reach out to them to see how they were able to get research.

I would also reach out to current fellows (doesn't matter if general, IC or EP) to see if they need a hand with any ongoing/new projects. Fellows almost always are interested in publishing/submitting abstracts to conferences and can be a great resource. Good luck.

Agree with talking to fellows and previous residents who matched in cardiology. They can give you direction.
You should also speak to PD---may give you pointers