Struggling with Diversity Essay

Started by zakeom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zakeom

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I know this is something that always comes up, but I"ma gain struggling with diversity.

I'm Asian-American, parents are immigrants, upper middle-class. Haven't had too many different life experiences, apart from always going to Asia during summers (but most similar applicants have as well).

Do you think it would be appropriate to talk about how my family is a diverse mix of hindu, muslim, and christian, and I've been exposed to all three religions heavily over the course of my life? And try to spin the diversity into something culturally competentish?

One other thing is that I used to teach young kids guitar for a while, maybe tie this into teaching?

Thanks for the help.
 
Last edited:
The “diversity” prompt for secondaries (as in "How will you add to the diversity of our class"?) is NOT about your ethnic background. It’s about what unique thing do you bring to the entering Class? Think of it this way: if I asked your three best friends “what’s the coolest thing about you?” what would they say?