Stuck at 89!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kris1

Mega-Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems no matter how much effort I put in to any test I always get the same grade. Either an 88 or 89. My school still uses letter grades and a 90 is an A. I'm not complaining because I know that basic science grades are worth so little in the big scheme of things. It just seems uncanny that I always get the same grade. Does this describe anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Not me. I frequently go from a 75 to a 94 or whatever else. There's no telling in advance what my grade will be, and it's not because I feel like I really studied a lot more for one rather than another exam.

It seems no matter how much effort I put in to any test I always get the same grade. Either an 88 or 89. My school still uses letter grades and a 90 is an A. I'm not complaining because I know that basic science grades are worth so little in the big scheme things. It just seems uncanny that I always get the same grade. Does this describe anyone else?

That's amazing. So even if you don't study at all, you still get an 88 or 89?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's amazing. So even if you don't study at all, you still get an 88 or 89?

Well... I can't go so far as to say that. I have to put in a week at least. It has become a joke though because this has been going on for over a year now. I had a pharmacology exam today and I told my classmates that I would get an 88 or 89, and I was right.

hahahha i've been complaining about the same thing all year. no matter how much or how little i study, i get the same grade but it varies depending on the subject ie for any given subject i have the exact same grade +/- 1 on all tests/quizzes. i even joked that my teachers must just see my name in a class and just put down the same grade. the only time it really pissed me off was in anatomy when i got the exact same thing on head and neck/limbs/abdomen/thorax/pelvis...when i think i put 4x more work into head and neck.

Same here haha...same grade range too, regardless of how much I slack or overkill apparently. I've learned to deal with it and just suck it up. I guess second quartile is good enough for me. Let's just smash step 1 :D

Haven't you ever thought that since you study a week on one test, get an 88 and study quite a bit, but then still get the same 88. Perhaps the test that you studied hella alot was more difficult and you needed to study alot JUST to get that 88!

My range I seem to fluctuate in is 85-89. Sometimes crack the 90s, but I'm less worried about that little H on the transcript and more focused on trying to increase my chances of the muck sticking on the long term memory wall.

First time I scored below 90 I thought it'd motivate me to try harder. Instead, I just kind of went "meh." I think its cause I place my trust in the boards. Whether that trust is misguided or not, who knows, but it helps with the stress.

It seems no matter how much effort I put in to any test I always get the same grade. Either an 88 or 89. My school still uses letter grades and a 90 is an A. I'm not complaining because I know that basic science grades are worth so little in the big scheme of things. It just seems uncanny that I always get the same grade. Does this describe anyone else?

Same here. Even if I only have time to skim over the notes once, and go into an exam prepared to fail, I can usually get the old reliable high 80's score. Except for micro, in that class I couldn't break 97. Time after time, I would miss one question and end up with a 97. :eek:

89 would be great - I'm always stuck on 69. no matter how hard I get 69 is all I can work out.

I agree! I spent the first two years at 89, followed by this year of shelf exams again at 89. Thank god the one test where that didn't happen was Step 1!

Lots of people are like this. I think what it comes down to is that in the end its probably your percentage that is going to matter more than anything, so scoring an 89% vs a 90% is not going to be a big deal. You may be getting straight Bs while some other person is getting straight As with a constant 90%, but when they rank the class you're going to be pretty much right at the same level as that person.