Stuck at crossroad - Need advice please!

Started by Banjo64dd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Banjo64dd

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Graduated with a 3.27 GPA from a UC school. Took my MCATS in 2005 and got a 23 O: ps 8 VR 6 BS 9. Worked for a year and retook the MCATs in August 2006 only to receive a 24 R: ps 9 vr 6 BS 9. Currently am taking extension courses in pre-med classes. I am 24 years old and am thinking about just giving up hope to getting into a US school and just starting this JAN in carribean. I don't think I can wait another year or two to start med school. Also, I worked my ass off for the 2006 MCATs (6 months of prep) only to improve 1 point and have my VR score the same. What can I do? Should I just give up and go to the carribean?
 
Graduated with a 3.27 GPA from a UC school. Took my MCATS in 2005 and got a 23 O: ps 8 VR 6 BS 9. Worked for a year and retook the MCATs in August 2006 only to receive a 24 R: ps 9 vr 6 BS 9. Currently am taking extension courses in pre-med classes. I am 24 years old and am thinking about just giving up hope to getting into a US school and just starting this JAN in carribean. I don't think I can wait another year or two to start med school. Also, I worked my ass off for the 2006 MCATs (6 months of prep) only to improve 1 point and have my VR score the same. What can I do? Should I just give up and go to the carribean?

Yea thats just the way it goes for most people who retake the MCAT. Hard to get the points up, and that verbal section is always a killer. The good news is your GPA is not to bad. I don't know but maybe you should look into applying to a DO school, or retake the MCAT again for a third time (third time's the charm right?).

Personally, with all due respect to anyone going to med school in the Carribean, I think its shooting yourself in the foot if you plan on practicing somewhere reputable in the US. Its extremely hard to come back to the mainland given your education at one of those schools. DO schools sometimes unjustly get a bad rep compared to MD schools, but they are certainly superior to caribbean schools, and of course are equal to MD's in terms of ones ability to practice medicine. In fact, here at UC Davis Medical Center, we have plenty of DOs who get into our very competative internal medicine residency. Since i've been here at UCD (7 years), I have yet to see one attending, fellow, or resident who came from a Caribbean school.

On a side note, we had a Carribean med student our med center a few years back. Recently he just graduated, and was not able to get a residency in the US, so is asking around for any jobs that we can offer him (like research). Although only one incident, it may be an example of what is possible if you go the Carribean route.

That is great that you are trying to boost your GPA via Extension. However the only advice that i can really offer you is to re-evaluate how you study and take the MCAT. Without a 28 or higher, admission may be tough at MD schools, and possibly DO schools too. Ultimately it is your choice, if you are happy in the Carribean, and practicing in the Carribean then more power to you. Happiness is the true measure of success, but there is a big difference between immediate happiness vs. long-term/long-lasting happiness. Good luck!
 
Graduated with a 3.27 GPA from a UC school. Took my MCATS in 2005 and got a 23 O: ps 8 VR 6 BS 9. Worked for a year and retook the MCATs in August 2006 only to receive a 24 R: ps 9 vr 6 BS 9. Currently am taking extension courses in pre-med classes. I am 24 years old and am thinking about just giving up hope to getting into a US school and just starting this JAN in carribean. I don't think I can wait another year or two to start med school. Also, I worked my ass off for the 2006 MCATs (6 months of prep) only to improve 1 point and have my VR score the same. What can I do? Should I just give up and go to the carribean?

I think you have a good shot of making it in the US school. Granted, that you retake the MCAT and work to boost your GPA a bit. It looks like your sciences are okay, and that verbal holds you back. Perhaps this can be addressed somehow through more practice or getting a tutor. I know how frustrating verbal can be. I know that it's hard to be patient, especially when you feel like you're getting older and that the Carribean would be a realistic route for you based on your numbers. But, use that as the very last option for yourself. To give you some perspective, look at all the non-trad. students entering medical school in their 30s and 40s. Depending on your interests, going to the Carribean would make it harder to get into the more competitive residencies. I would have to respectfully disagree with relentless, though he/she may correct me if I am wrong but it appears that Carribean schools have been able to get students into a variety of residencies that seem reputable. The bottom line, is I think you should keep striving for US Med schools, and also ask yourself if an Osteopathic school sounds good to you. Good Luck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advice guys. It's really nice to have encouragment to keep me going. I still feel like if I can get over the verbal hump that I can get into a good SMP program to get into med school in the US. However, the fact that I studied my ass off for the verbal section and didn't improve is scary. I think I might need to redfine my reading/comprehension skills to the core. Maybe a speed reading course or something. Any suggestions?

P.S. Since the new MCAT will be computerized, will we be able to annote the verbal passages?
 
I suggest you consider how badly you want to attend at US school. You dont have a hopeless gpa, but it is still pretty bad for US schools. And, your MCAT will keep you from getting accepted almost everywhere, by its own (de)merits. If you're willing to commit around two years to post-bacc courses to improve your gpa, and willing to retake the MCAT to improve to around a 30, you have a chance at a US school. Short of that, however, I suggest you look into Caribbean schools. Contrary to what others have said, the Caribbean is not the worst thing that can happen to you. Scores of students get residencies at academic centers from the Caribbean each year. Ultimately, the doctor you become depends solely on your own determination and hard work, and if you're willing to put in the effort in the Caribbean, you should have a good gpa and competitive board scores, which will get you a good residency. There are problems with going there, however, such as licensing issues in some states, being away from your family for two years and perhaps not living in a place that you find desirable. But you need to weigh these against the prospect of spending another few years improving your gpa and MCAT.