stuck choosing physics class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lull

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to register for physics next semester and my University offers two kinds: physics for life science majors or physics for science and engineering. Normally, I would choose the life science one since it would be more applicable to the MCAT, but the professors have pretty bad reviews, while the professors for the science and engineering have really great reviews. What would you recommend?

Course description for Physics for Life Science Majors:

The class exposes the student to physical principles and concepts, demonstrates how these principles can be applied to quantitatively describe natural phenomena, and provides the student with an opportunity to perform hands-on experiments and measurements that model how physical knowledge is obtained. The living world exists in the physical universe, and a complete understanding of biological processes is impossible without a firm foundation in the basic physical principles to which all systems, living and inorganic, must adhere. The basic principles of classical mechanics, fluid mechanics, and oscillations and waves will be examined, with particular emphasis to their application in biological systems, using mathematical analysis at the level of basic calculus.

Course description for Physics for Science and Engineering:

Use of fundamental principles to solve quantitative problems. Motion, forces, conservation principles, structure of matter. Applications to mechanical systems.
prereq: concurrent registration is required (or allowed) in Math 1271 (this is calculus 1) or concurrent registration is required (or allowed) in Math 1371 or concurrent registration is required (or allowed) in Math 1571

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to register for physics next semester and my University offers two kinds: physics for life science majors or physics for science and engineering. Normally, I would choose the life science one since it would be more applicable to the MCAT, but the professors have pretty bad reviews, while the professors for the science and engineering have really great reviews. What would you recommend?

The class exposes the student to physical principles and concepts, demonstrates how these principles can be applied to quantitatively describe natural phenomena, and provides the student with an opportunity to perform hands-on experiments and measurements that model how physical knowledge is obtained. The living world exists in the physical universe, and a complete understanding of biological processes is impossible without a firm foundation in the basic physical principles to which all systems, living and inorganic, must adhere. The basic principles of classical mechanics, fluid mechanics, and oscillations and waves will be examined, with particular emphasis to their application in biological systems, using mathematical analysis at the level of basic calculus.

Use of fundamental principles to solve quantitative problems. Motion, forces, conservation principles, structure of matter. Applications to mechanical systems.
prereq: concurrent registration is required (or allowed) in Math 1271 (this is calculus 1) or concurrent registration is required (or allowed) in Math 1371 or concurrent registration is required (or allowed) in Math 1571
Which do you want - an easier class with poor professors or a harder class with good professors?

As an addendum: Literally every professor I have had with bad reviews turned out to be a really good person and willing to answer questions if you showed curiosity. Not to say that there aren’t bad professors, but most bad reviews are just from students who didn’t understand the material and want to blame the prof rather than take personal accountability.

Reactions: 2 users
but most bad reviews are just from students who didn’t understand the material and want to blame the prof rather than take personal accountability.

That's definitely true. I will say that what turned me away from these professors is that students were complaining they would read directly off the slides, and they were inaccessible in emails and office hours. I guess in terms of the MCAT, would it be more beneficial to take a physics class that has more of a biological application and less calculus heavy? or vice versa?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's definitely true. I will say that what turned me away from these professors is that students were complaining they would read directly off the slides, and they were inaccessible in emails and office hours. I guess in terms of the MCAT, would it be more beneficial to take a physics class that has more of a biological application and less calculus heavy? or vice versa?
MCAT applicability. You don’t need calculus on the MCAT, and the General will cover the concepts you need for MCAT. TBH there really isn’t that much physics on the MCAT and 80-90% of it is concept based. The physics math is either equations you will have used 1000 times or ratios. Either way, they will both be equally MCAT applicable with the engineer/science one having more info than you need.

Reactions: 2 users

Take life sciences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Usually the easier classes get students looking for the easy way out, dont put in effort, get bad grades and then complain

This. Why would you want to take calculus based physics and compete with the engineering gunners?

Better professors for one. I was the only premed at my T20 undergrad to take the calculus based physics sequence.

I did so because:

1) the trig based physics sequence had terrible professors,

2) I had a strong calculus background,

3).I have an interest in academic medicine - specifically cancer research - and felt that a deeper background in physics would help with fields like rad onc.

Engineers/math majors/physics majors - my cohort in the class - aren’t quite as grade obsessed as premeds.

That being said, the MCAT doesn’t require knowledge of calculus.

Do the life sciences for the love of god. My school only offered calc physics for majors (most of whom were shooting for PhD programs after) and it was the most needlessly difficult part of college and ended up being the only grade <B on my transcript

Whichever you take, please focus on understanding the concepts. Do not overly focus on memorizing the solutions to specific problems as that will not help you in the long run.

As they've said, do the life sciences one unless the bad reviews say they give ridiculously unfair tests or something like that where regardless of the content you're screwed. It's rare but there were like 5 professors I knew of through all of my undergrad where even good students would practically bomb their class just because they made it unfairly difficult to do well in.

If its some like "they're boring and read off the slides" then just take the dang class, be bored, and ace it. Don't have to enjoy it, just have to do decent in the class and understand the basic concepts.

Reactions: 1 user
the solutions to specific problems
This. I did find myself drawing out the lens/ray diagram for one of my C/P questions. Memorizing when things are inverted/real at which distances with what mirror type (etc). would have yielded a LOT faster of an answer, but knowing the concept without memorization I was able to confidently derive the answer. If you are a slow thinker, some memorization is/can be helpful, however concepts are 100.

This. I did find myself drawing out the lens/ray diagram for one of my C/P questions. Memorizing when things are inverted/real at which distances with what mirror type (etc). would have yielded a LOT faster of an answer, but knowing the concept without memorization I was able to confidently derive the answer. If you are a slow thinker, some memorization is/can be helpful, however concepts are 100.

Exactly!

Reactions: 1 user