Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Stuck on this question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by X, Aug 28, 2002.

1. X

X

Many of the apps are asking how you would contribute to the diversity of the class? I am not sure how to answer this properly. I don't want to just start making a list of things on there. How are we suppose to answer this? Anything would be great help.

X

2. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

i guess they are trying to ask you how you would stand out.. or what special abilities you have that would add value to the classroom

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

I wrote that as everyone else would have great GPAs and MCAT scores, I could be the dumb one...

:p

It's all about finding your niche

4. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent
    7+ Year Member

i just finished writing my essay for that....i was seriously stuck on it, too.... just write about an experience or a part of your life that has given you some kind of unique perspective on the world. it's a tough one, i know. i'm still not excited by my subject, but it gives insight in to how my background has shaped me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

Chops hit the nail on the head--how has your background shaped you? Answer this question, and you will see how unique you are and how that would make you an asset for your class.

6. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

I was in "Club Diversity" in high school, does that count?

BTW "Club Diversity" was a lame attempt by a few people to establish a club in high school (resume filler). LOL (I was just went to a few meetings to see what it was about)

7. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

umm bragging about mcat scores or gpa will make you look pretty shallow.

chopsuey hit it right on the head.. discuss something interesting that makes you unique.. you know .. that makes you a colorful character and would add value to their school community

8. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat
    7+ Year Member

It does not have to be an characteristic about yourself -- experiences are the easiest thing to write about if you are feeling a little short in this category. Think about places you have travelled to, projects you have worked on, etc.

9. monster2

monster2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It's belittling how medical schools demand your contribution to diversity even if they themselves have the power to force diversity through selective acceptances. While it might be unfair to the deserving, the system espouses the notion that a racially diverse class is the best way to get the best doctors. But how many can truly say that an individual is "diverse" compared to another? The real question is whether medical schools let you in because you deserve to be in... or is it because you are diverse?

10. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

what?

11. souljah1

souljah1 Attending
    10+ Year Member

I wrote about how I used to sling crack rock, and how now I am smokin blunts and sippin' on private stock.

12. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

yay for people with a sense of humor! :)

13. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Was this way back, when you had the red and black lumberjack, with the hat to match?

14. X

X

Is there anyone out there that is not diverse?

I mean I doubt they will find any of those, so its dumb to ask questions like how you would add to the diversity. Hell the person who is not diverse would be one of a kind, I say they should take that person. Still somewhat lost on this question, I think I will just throw some words down and go on.

X

15. agent

agent agent, RN
    7+ Year Member

biggie smalls is the illest...

yeah yeah.

16. souljah1

souljah1 Attending
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, do you remember rappin' duke,'dah ha dah ha'? I bet you never though hip hop would make it this far.:)

17. unregistered

unregistered Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How about adding to the diversity of a class by being so undiverse and so mild-mannered inexperienced middle of the road milk-toast that you stand out. Anybody take that angle?
    Sure, my experiences "shaped" me, but honestly, I'm about as melting-pot as they come with a happy, safe middle class upbringing and one wild year under my belt. I certainly don't want to expound on that!