Stuck on this question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
X

X

Many of the apps are asking how you would contribute to the diversity of the class? I am not sure how to answer this properly. I don't want to just start making a list of things on there. How are we suppose to answer this? Anything would be great help.

X

Members don't see this ad.

i guess they are trying to ask you how you would stand out.. or what special abilities you have that would add value to the classroom

I wrote that as everyone else would have great GPAs and MCAT scores, I could be the dumb one...

:p

It's all about finding your niche

Members don't see this ad :)
i just finished writing my essay for that....i was seriously stuck on it, too.... just write about an experience or a part of your life that has given you some kind of unique perspective on the world. it's a tough one, i know. i'm still not excited by my subject, but it gives insight in to how my background has shaped me.

Chops hit the nail on the head--how has your background shaped you? Answer this question, and you will see how unique you are and how that would make you an asset for your class.

I was in "Club Diversity" in high school, does that count?

BTW "Club Diversity" was a lame attempt by a few people to establish a club in high school (resume filler). LOL (I was just went to a few meetings to see what it was about)

umm bragging about mcat scores or gpa will make you look pretty shallow.

chopsuey hit it right on the head.. discuss something interesting that makes you unique.. you know .. that makes you a colorful character and would add value to their school community

It does not have to be an characteristic about yourself -- experiences are the easiest thing to write about if you are feeling a little short in this category. Think about places you have travelled to, projects you have worked on, etc.

It's belittling how medical schools demand your contribution to diversity even if they themselves have the power to force diversity through selective acceptances. While it might be unfair to the deserving, the system espouses the notion that a racially diverse class is the best way to get the best doctors. But how many can truly say that an individual is "diverse" compared to another? The real question is whether medical schools let you in because you deserve to be in... or is it because you are diverse?

Originally posted by monster2
It's belittling how medical schools demand your contribution to diversity even if they themselves have the power to force diversity through selective acceptances. While it might be unfair to the deserving, the system espouses the notion that a racially diverse class is the best way to get the best doctors. But how many can truly say that an individual is "diverse" compared to another? The real question is whether medical schools let you in because you deserve to be in... or is it because you are diverse?

what?

I wrote about how I used to sling crack rock, and how now I am smokin blunts and sippin' on private stock.

Originally posted by souljah1
I wrote about how I used to sling crack rock, and how now I am smokin blunts and sippin' on private stock.

yay for people with a sense of humor! :)

Originally posted by souljah1

Was this way back, when you had the red and black lumberjack, with the hat to match?

Is there anyone out there that is not diverse?

I mean I doubt they will find any of those, so its dumb to ask questions like how you would add to the diversity. Hell the person who is not diverse would be one of a kind, I say they should take that person. Still somewhat lost on this question, I think I will just throw some words down and go on.

X

biggie smalls is the illest...

yeah yeah.

Originally posted by DW

Was this way back, when you had the red and black lumberjack, with the hat to match?

Yeah, do you remember rappin' duke,'dah ha dah ha'? I bet you never though hip hop would make it this far.:)

How about adding to the diversity of a class by being so undiverse and so mild-mannered inexperienced middle of the road milk-toast that you stand out. Anybody take that angle?
Sure, my experiences "shaped" me, but honestly, I'm about as melting-pot as they come with a happy, safe middle class upbringing and one wild year under my belt. I certainly don't want to expound on that!