Stuck with what to do - re: Dclinpsy or psychotherapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nax

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - slightly in abit of a pickle at the moment and would like to have some advice from people, would be super appreciated. Firstly I will say abit of my background and then with the choices I need to make..

Firstly I am based in the UK. I have a BSc in Psychology (1:1) and currently an MSc Neuroimaging student. I have over six years experience working as a health care assistant in general hospitals, care homes and a psychiatric hospital. I have also volunteered alot and shadowed a clinical psychologist (in a memory clinic) and doctors (as I did consider grad med at one point).

I originally started my Psychology path as I wanted to become a clinical psychologist, however I was slightly put off by the amount of admin and all the assessments CPs do. I would prefer to have more time with a client and see the progression of their healing.
After my third year project, I really enjoyed research so I decided to undertake a masters course...but now realising that I would not enjoy being a full time researcher. I have become interested in the research basis of therapy. I would love to be a part time academic who looks at psychotherapy, neuroimaging, mental health and cognition. So a PhD in Psychology is certainly on my plate. I also already have a potential supervisor for this but unfortunately this would need to wait until next years intake due to funding.

My question is that, is it more suitable with my interests to undertake the CP path or psychotherapy? I was told by one person that psychotherapy involves little research, so I would be more suited as a CP.
But I prefer the idea of running my own practise as a therapist..and learning other non-medical therapies such as ecotherapy. Could I be an academic in psychology and a therapist? I can't seem to find anything about this online...everyone in the psychotherapy and neuroimaging research seems to either be an MD or CP.
I am also aware that it is extremely hard to get onto CP training - even with alot of experience and AP posts are very hard to come by. I am not keen on travelling across the country for a AP post. And again I am not happy on spending more years of my life doing HCA work waiting for CP training and similarly I would not want to conduct research outside of my interests (which makes RA jobs somewhat difficult, although not impossible).
And again there is financial issues to worry about..as training as a psychotherapist would mean undertaking another masters (for the accrediation)...and it would likely be mostly self funded. But that would only be for a year if I was to do this full time and then I would basically have a job at the end of that period (that I would enjoy much more than the ones I listed above). Although another thing to consider is that I still need to learn how to drive xD..

Salary does not really matter to me. Enough to get by, but ultimately I want to be happy and in a job that I enjoy.

So what are your thoughts with all this considering my interests for a future career? :)
Also thought that I should say thank you for reading my lengthy problem haha

Members don't see this ad.