Student Activities and Fundraising

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmPrincess

Hot and smart...damn :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had done non-traditional fundraising ideas for their class and if it worked. I was also wondering if anyone is participating in student activities/projects other than immunizations or diabetes awareness. I'm interested in doing some sort of Substance Abuse awareness or even an Obesity awareness for our pharmacy class to participate in. Any input/experience in this would help. Thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

This was a long time ago, before political correctness ruled the universe. One of the School organizations sold T-Shirts with the following logo:

I'm into drugs

Temple University
School of Pharmacy

It was a great seller. I still have mine, alas it no longer fits.....

This was a long time ago, before political correctness ruled the universe. One of the School organizations sold T-Shirts with the following logo:

I'm into drugs

Temple University
School of Pharmacy

It was a great seller. I still have mine, alas it no longer fits.....

you should sell it on ebay...I'd buy it only if it had yellow arm pit stains!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure our school totally scammed this idea from another school, but here it is: Flamingo Insurance!

Basically, you send out letters / e-mails to faculty, pharmacists that your student group knows, etc. asking for a donation to your student group and call it "flamingo insurance." If the recipient of the letter / e-mail decides to not donate any money, they run the risk of getting their yard "flamingo-ed" (a group of students puts like 50 of those cheap plastic pink flamingos in that person's yard). Then, if their yard is flamingo-ed, you then ask for a donation for a "flamingo removal service."

This is all done in fun, and the letter / e-mail that goes out should always include a provision to opt out of the fundraiser, so that no one gets mad about having flamingos in their yard. The way you can do this is require the recipients to reply "yes I will donate" or "no, I realize I run the risk of getting flamingo-ed" so that you know not to touch the yards of anyone who did not respond at all.

This worked really well, and quite a few donations came in through both the "insurance" part and then the "removal service." Plus it's fun to flamingo yards!

Last edited:
I'm sure our school totally scammed this idea from another school, but here it is: Flamingo Insurance!

Basically, you send out letters / e-mails to faculty, pharmacists that your student group knows, etc. asking for a donation to your student group and call it "flamingo insurance." If the recipient of the letter / e-mail decides to not donate any money, they run the risk of getting their yard "flamingo-ed" (a group of students puts like 50 of those cheap plastic pink flamingos in that person's yard). Then, if their yard is flamingo-ed, you then ask for a donation for a "flamingo removal service."

This is all done in fun, and the letter / e-mail that goes out should always include a provision to opt out of the fundraiser, so that no one gets mad about having flamingos in their yard. The way you can do this is require the recipients to reply "yes I will donate" or "no, I realize I run the risk of getting flamingo-ed" so that you know not to touch the yards of anyone who did not respond at all.

Is that a KE thing at your school? It is at ours.

I was wondering if anyone had done non-traditional fundraising ideas for their class and if it worked. I was also wondering if anyone is participating in student activities/projects other than immunizations or diabetes awareness. I'm interested in doing some sort of Substance Abuse awareness or even an Obesity awareness for our pharmacy class to participate in. Any input/experience in this would help. Thanx.

I participated in some hypertension and heartburn clinics, Vial of Life seminars, and a wellness/health festivals where we made nice medication lists that patients could carry in their wallets, DEXA, BMI, glucose, etc.

kewl i really like the flamingo insurance idea:idea:. Im definately going to bring that up at the Board Meeting next week. I hope more ppl have other stories to tell. As far as the T-shirts slogans...yea, we've had our share of politically incorrect t-shirts... some of which our faculty weren't too pleased with. Keep it coming, i need ideas!