Student applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caliking87

Reaction score
This has been hashed again and again. Only 700 students applied to podiatry schools this past cycle. How are schools not yet closing down? In fact, more schools are trying to open?! This paired with more “fellowships” opening up. Why are fellowships all of the sudden needed when podiatrists have been doing just fine without them for basically our entire history? Increasing tuition with low student numbers? Absolute craziness. What do y’all think the future holds? Will their be a rebound in students due to schools promoting “foot and ankle surgery” or will we continue to see decline in numbers for several years?
Will this decline in students have any impact on the job market?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Will this have any impact on the job market? Idk bro ask us in 2032 when these kids graduate residency. Even then, we will still be super saturated and what is more than likely happening is less quality applicants are getting accepted as there is now absolutely zero competition to get into podiatry school

Reactions: 1 users
We have no idea what the future will hold. Its all conjecture until it actually happens.
Most of the questions you ask can only also be answered with conjecture or making assumptions based on what has happened in the past.

No idea what level of training you are at, but maybe do something like shoot for a leadership position or whatever to make the changes you want to see instead of making a new account to rehash the same points we've discussed ad nausea.

Members don't see this ad :)
This has been hashed again and again. Only 700 students applied to podiatry schools this past cycle. How are schools not yet closing down? In fact, more schools are trying to open?! This paired with more “fellowships” opening up. Why are fellowships all of the sudden needed when podiatrists have been doing just fine without them for basically our entire history? Increasing tuition with low student numbers? Absolute craziness. What do y’all think the future holds? Will their be a rebound in students due to schools promoting “foot and ankle surgery” or will we continue to see decline in numbers for several years?
I have the answer to all your questions.

Schools will start closing down. In last couple years many have just broke even, some in the negatives. Being in the red does not automatically mean they get shut down. It has to be repeated years with worsening trends.

Free market allows more schools to open. Also allows more schools to lose money testing out the waters. And yes, also allows students to suffer while testing out the waters. Communications majors, gender studies, and a bunch of other educational routes are the same way.

Fellowships are not necessary, but supply and demand is. There is a demand for finding ways to stick out to make yourself look better for a job. Fellowships are one way.

Schools lose money to low admissions and inflation. They are not smart, so they think tuition hikes are the solution.

The future is natural selection. Schools will open, more spots too. Eventually there will be 1000 student openings. Poor job outlook will keep applicants at around 500-700. These 2 events will cause schools to shut down bringing available spots back down to around 600 (400 if we are lucky). After this, the old scamming ABFAS doctors who underpay associates will phase out. Now with these 2 new events. Salaries will increase to 200k. This is the determining factor that will bring more applicants. How long will this process take? That I do not know. My guess is 20 more years.

Nobody is attracted to podiatry for surgery alone. We chose it for surgery + money. Numbers will decline until salaries get fixed. Salaries will not get fixed until the above events happen.

Yes a decline in applications will help with jobs, mentioned above. You will hear people say we have an application crisis. That is false. Podiatry as a profession does not have an application crisis. The schools have a crisis. To us practicing, it is a blessing.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
1. No podiatry school has ever shut down.

2. The schools that opened were in the works for years. No one at those schools was like "we can't open now, the market is poor". It was simply going to happen. Adding podiatry schools to DO/MD schools that already exist is likely simply viewed as income diversification. The buildings and science teachers already exist. There are likely limits on adding MD/DO students - ie. you have to generate internal medicine and general surgery rotations for them. You don't have to do that for podiatrists. You add a few nail nippers to a clinic and then send them off 4th year on clerkships. It is entirely possible we could get more unnecessary podiatry schools in the future.

3. Were a school to shut down it would likely require (a) 4 years of poor matriculation ie. if a school that takes 100 students brings in a class of 50 they still have 3 classes of 80-100 bringing in tuition, but with each year of decreased matriculation the financial burden grows (b) and then some sort of poorly planned financial hardship. ie. if Kent had decided 2-3 years ago to build a $200 million building that would be a problem right now. Its worth noting that DMU has recently built a new campus, but DMU has diversified revenue streams across many professional degrees and I'm sort of under the impression they fill every year. Supposedly Temple shutdown their outpatient surgery center. No idea if that is true, but if somehow that had been a source of revenue for the school that kind of thing could be problematic. Alternatively, if they were losing money on it then it could be a win.

Schools are businesses. Within reason they can try to cut costs, raise tuition, etc. They can accept students that they would have previously turned down. They potentially can roll back scholarships on students who are already there. A family member of mine attended an Ivy league school on a "scholarship". They pulled it for his 4th year and he had to borrow more for his 4th year then they had for his 3 years up to that point. He was pissed, but he couldn't leave. A podiatry school could do the same.

4. The fellowship train has already left the station. This profession is as always - unwilling to regulate itself. The kind of people who could do something about this are the same people who won't lift a finger to fix the schools, fix the residencies, fix the boards. They don't see a problem.

5. None of us really know why podiatry school applications are down. Is it that SDN is so persuasive at exposing podiatry's flaws? Doubtful. Is it that students realize there's no money in the profession? They never could figure that out in the past so why now. Is it because there are so many more DO, NP, CRNA, MD, PA etc seats available and some of the DO schools have had to lower their standards through time? Maybe. Perhaps its because the economy is so good. If the economy is the reason people aren't going to podiatry school then its entirely possible applications will pick back up if the economy dips. Or maybe this is the end. But I doubt it.

I'm mostly a believer that nothing really changes. Schools will continue to accept underqualified students. Residents will continue to slide by with the bare minimum of training. And commercial insurance and Medicare will continue to cut their rates. Hospital pods will continue to be paid out of facility fees. Time will tell.

A family member of mine attended an Ivy league school on a "scholarship". They pulled it for his 4th year and he had to borrow more for his 4th year then they had for his 3 years up to that point. He was pissed, but he couldn't leave. A podiatry school could do the same.
This is a common law school tactic. They offer a first year scholarship based on maintaining GPA, then have the professors grade on curves so that only 1 or 2 students can reach it for the next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Good answers above. To hit the high points above with my main agreements:

• Pod schools will close.
It will take a few years of financial hurt on schools due to lowered applicants. That's already happening. Applicants have become wise to the very poor ROI of podiatry school. The two newest 2022 DPM schools (and probably the two opened even before that 2009 and 2004) should have seen the saturation of podiatrists + decreased apps and just cancelled, but that's just not the capitalist and avaricious way.
Another residency crunch will also soon develop in a few years (like the shortage after Western Univ Pod initially graduated) in a profession/career that already has far too many joke "approved" residency spots. Even if the national boards lower standards and let pod schools pass and graduate the dum dums, there just won't be enough pod students. The pod schools will start to undercut each other on tuition, give/tease more scholarships, more ads, more dean videos, keep more flunked students in "extended program" study... but something has to give (just like pharma). Schools will begin to close. It's not "if," with the 2022 schools opening, it's definitely a matter of when at this point. Speaking of which, did LECOM find a podiatrist dean after the first one lasted less than a year?

This is common knowledge. Fellowship for the vast majority of podiarists is a last-ditch effort to buy time and/or audition for a pod group job. There are very few (academically) worth doing...maybe the top 5 or 10 ACFAS ones only (CORE, OFAC, PFAI, etc). By and large, they don't change one's specialty for podiatry; they mainly just delay the inevitable (face rough job market, start paying student loans, take off the training wheels, begin trying to talk 80 year nail patients into bone/joint recon for boards numbers).

• The DPM job market will unfortunately get worse.
Newsflash: it already is worse than a decade or two ago. Even top grads are having a tough time now (they had options not long ago). The pay for surgical DPMs (which every one is now) relative to tuition debt is worse... versus inflation is worse. Pods will increasingly undercut each other, density will get worse.... more fraud, more ads, more chiro-type scams. Insurance payments do not go up much, but debt goes up fast. We will have upcoming years with all-time highs of graduating DPMs (remember, all surgeons, most in huge debt). There are 20k podiatrists in USA (and nearly all coming out now think they're surgeons, but retiring ones were mostly C&C). It's just waaay too many DPMs (relative to any other legit medical specialty). You hardly even need to see the actual numbers... simply look at Google maps anywhere for podiatrists versus any other specialty that gets paid more than us(all of them), and you see it quite clearly.
It will get to the point of where attorneys were and pharmacy currently is where a decent % of grads default on loans and/or change fields. Many other pods will go to supergroup jobs (podiatry's version of Walgreens/CVS/Walmart for pharmacy) and get fairly meager money and benefits once you consider taxes and loan payments. Hospital podiatry jobs were fairly hard... are now hard... will be very hard - fellowship or not. It's a loud and clear sign that VAMCs have a tough time getting even the bottom-of-the-barrel MDs to apply... yet they often get hundreds of podiatry apps. Tough sledding in podiatry PP also as more areas get more saturated and competitive for refers, hospitals/supergroups push on smaller PPs, etc.

• Less podiatry student apps has little effect on the job market.
Podiatry schools have basically 100% accept rate... always have. If one school doesn't take them, another will.
Whether there are 400 or 500 or 700+ pod students, those effects aren't seen for quite awhile (remember, roughly 20k pods in USA... soon more than orthopedists of all types/specialties). The podiatry grad numbers would have to be under ~300/yr and stay there for decades to do anything about the saturation and jobs/pay. That would be awesome in that residencies could be closed/consolidated. Won't happen anytime soon.

...so in the end, $$$ talks. Follow the money, and see what'll happen...
  • Students need ROI, and podiatry's ROI is not good.... ~$300k-400k debt for ~$150k-$200k job (roughy 2:1 debt:income, very bad when you consider 7-8yrs grad+residency).
  • Pod schools need profits... some will close eventually if they can't fill the seats. They'll get pressure from within or from sponsor univ/DO schools.
  • Pod grad debt needs to be paid, ppl need to eat... they'll take whatever jobs they can, "compete" very hard for good jobs, not have negotiation power and/or even underbid each other. That is the saddest part.
Historically, and back when I was in pod school, the "doom and gloom" of podiatry was definitely the subpar training, lack of medical respect, discrimination, varied hospital acceptance. The way to bust out of that stuff was to get rare good podiatry training, and you'd be in demand. Debt was manageable. You'd get surgery and boards and job since most DPMs didn't do much/any surgery.
Present day, the issues are wholly the financials of podiatry... it costs way too much, jobs are thin, the jobs are underpaid relative to the massively increased debt (vs DPMs of the past). Training is still far from perfect, but there are just way too many of us - and nearly all trying to be surgeons. It's not sustainable.

I remember two guys well who both told me not to buy into the doom-n-gloom... and that podiatry had treated them veeery good. Those were back in my pod student and resident days. Later on, one got kicked off MCR for fraud and had to change professions. The other one landed in even bigger legal/financial problems than that. :)

This is a common law school tactic. They offer a first year scholarship based on maintaining GPA, then have the professors grade on curves so that only 1 or 2 students can reach it for the next year.
Yeah, many pod schools do this already... first year about half (or probably now nearly all with "admission crisis") get a scholarship, 2nd year maybe it's a quarter maintained it, 3rd year basically all have lost it. It's based on gpa or % class rank or or whatever (which gets increasingly harder as the podiatry schools all have attrition much higher than MD/DO schools).

For most pod schools, I would say it's not easily maintainable scholarship unless it's a 3.0 gpa requirement. It just can't be counted on beyond first year towards total cost of attendance. The pod school hopes students plan on having it all 4 years (and doesn't know they may not only lose the scholly - but also turn into a "5 year program," "6 year program," etc student). :(

Last edited:
We have no idea what the future will hold. Its all conjecture until it actually happens.
Most of the questions you ask can only also be answered with conjecture or making assumptions based on what has happened in the past.

No idea what level of training you are at, but maybe do something like shoot for a leadership position or whatever to make the changes you want to see instead of making a new account to rehash the same points we've discussed ad nausea.
What position/actions can I take to stop schools from opening and decrease saturation?😂

• Haha
What position/actions can I take to stop schools from opening and decrease saturation?😂
No idea.

Become a CPME council member maybe to increase the quality of residencies or shut down bad ones?
Ask your school deans when you see something in the advertising that doesn't match with what you see in the real world?
Go to your local and national meetings? Start talking about it. Start bringing questions up to panels. Grass roots whatever.

I'm not being sarcastic about the above. I do not have an answer for you, just suggestions that may garner you a lot of hate from both sides.
What I don't want is more rage baiting in these forums.

By the time you'd have the power to do something like that your brain will have warped from inhaling nail fungus and you'll truly believe that podiatry is a gem of a profession and that we need more schools. ;)

There are leadership positions out there, but I suspect it takes a lot of work to actually get involved in policy.

-I went to a conference awhile back that was desperate for speakers. I remember thinking - if you were trying to become a speaker this could be the place to get started. Within a year or two though they'd plugged that need and almost all the lecturers were "real" speakers.
-In my state at least, a few years ago they were desperate for people to run for state level roles. Interestingly, they were also really interested in having people give money and attend events for state level reps to try and help get state level bills passed. The belief was that ortho will always have more money, but that you as an individual in a community can communicate with your local representative in a more meaningful way.
-A classmate of mine made it onto one of those young APMA physician things though where that actually leads you I cannot say.
-Dr. Rodgers says there are all sorts of committees and things you could potentially volunteer for to try and get onto, but I sort of doubt he means at CPME.

Two years ago I wrote a post where I predicted we would see
1) a decrease an overall enrollment
2) an increase in the number of schools charging
3) steadily higher tuition paid for by prehealth students who struggled with grades/exams and have no other good options

I think my comments are aging well :)