MD Student athlete 3.4 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Sparkles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just trying to get some input from everyone. I'm a Canadian citizen currently on athletic scholarship for my University (SEC conference) and I'm graduating with a BA in biology. I'm going to be applying this cycle to US med schools, haven't taken the MCAT (July 25th) yet due to conflicts as I have the opportunity to play some professional tournaments. I interview well and I have great LoR's (schools Athletic director, Physician/professor at Medical school GRU, 2 biology professors). Also have around 60+ hours of shadowing and a decent amount of volunteering. I know it's difficult to say without my MCAT scores but I'm just trying to get an idea. My practice scores range from 28-34, these are mainly TPR and Kaplan tests. Going to be taking the AAMC tests soon.

Thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Just trying to get some input from everyone. I'm a Canadian citizen currently on athletic scholarship for my University (SEC conference) and I'm graduating with a BA in biology. I'm going to be applying this cycle to US med schools, haven't taken the MCAT (July 25th) yet due to conflicts as I have the opportunity to play some professional tournaments. I interview well and I have great LoR's (schools Athletic director, Physician/professor at Medical school GRU, 2 biology professors). Also have around 60+ hours of shadowing and a decent amount of volunteering. I know it's difficult to say without my MCAT scores but I'm just trying to get an idea. My practice scores range from 28-34, these are mainly TPR and Kaplan tests. Going to be taking the AAMC tests soon.

Thanks for any input
There are 74 MD schools that entertain applications from internationals. Most of these matriculate them in single digits. Although your practice tests (and gpa) do not indicate that this is how you will distinguish yourself, they may still be open to other evidence. DO schools are also beginning to accept more international applicants. This may merit your investigation.

I cannot recommend an MD application for this cycle (due to relatively late timing of submission and stats).

Last edited by a moderator:
I met with our med schools associate director of admissions. She said that as long as the primaries were in, the MCAT score can come in anytime before September as they don't starting processing applications them till then so I had assumed I was fine with the timing

Members don't see this ad :)
I met with our med schools associate director of admissions. She said that as long as the primaries were in, the MCAT score can come in anytime before September as they don't starting processing applications them till then so I had assumed I was fine with the timing
If you are already in the verification process, she is somewhat right. Only your MCAT score will delay secondaries. We will actually begin processing secondaries this week, though. By September we will have given out most of the interview slots, thus my recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your numbers are OK for DO programs, but for MD, the cGPA is barely competitive, the sGPA is not.

Hi all,

Thanks for any input