student athletes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jewelsnz

Kiwi girl
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN'ers. Just wondering whether any of you were (or are) student athletes during undergrad. I ran track and cross country for BU. :D Anyone else compete on university sports teams??

Members don't see this ad.

Played baseball for the University of North Dakota. Hope being an athlete will help...

Yeah, I'm hoping the whole time management, balancing sports and studies thing will be a plus.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Varsity Squash at Bowdoin College

Varsity Coors light beer drinking team. Taste the cold baby.

varsity baseball at grand canyon university

do you think that being a varsity athlete will help out a lot with trying to get into dental school?

Indoor and Outdoor Track as well as Cross Country. I don't think anyone cares about the extracurriculars unless your GPA is high and DAT is solid. Then they marvel at how you did it. With a low GPA and marginal DAT they shake there head and marvel at why you did it to yourself. GPA and DAT are key. Everything else gives you something to talk about at the interview.

Women's Varsity Soccer at Wingate University....I don't know though, KOM's varsity coors light team sounds like more fun! :rolleyes:

reapply2007 said:
Indoor and Outdoor Track as well as Cross Country. I don't think anyone cares about the extracurriculars unless your GPA is high and DAT is solid. Then they marvel at how you did it. With a low GPA and marginal DAT they shake there head and marvel at why you did it to yourself. GPA and DAT are key. Everything else gives you something to talk about at the interview.

Totally agreed.

Varsity waterpolo for one year, until I blew out my knee snowboarding. now all i do is snowboarding, i hope to stay in Colorado for this reason :D

all-am. swimmer at UNC

Played football at NAU for three years. Was on scholarship the whole time. cGPA is a 3.32 science is a 3.49 and DAT is a 19/20/19, hoping it helps.

Played varsity basketball and ran track... 3.93 Science GPA, 3.80 Cumulative GPA

Members don't see this ad :)
ncaa rifle for three years. was an academic all-american and on scholarship as well.

bump

Last edited:
Four year varsity swimming and team captain at UCSB. Also competed in the 2008 Olympic Trials. Hope all that loss of sleep and studying pays off.

division 1 soccer, scholarship, team captain...hasn't helped me yet.

I was a varsity cheerleader for 4 years and competed nationally. We weren't ncaa regulated. I don't think they value these things that highly, however if they know you are putting in at least 20 hours a week all school year long they might possibly understand a slip up (especially early on in your college career). I think if nothing else it shows you can multi-task, develop time management skills and teamwork/leadership qualities. And I off-road motorcycle race, but thats not a college centered sport.

Last edited:
im a guy but played hoop with the ladys basketball team at UC Davis
considered an athlete so got all the benefits haha

I ran 4 years of NCAA track and field and made 1st team all-conference twice but can't seem to impress any dental schools. After reading some of these others I understand why. Y'all put me to shame :oops:

I played D1 lacrosse

few of my interviewers really liked that I did others didn't care in the least

lol how did that work?

I've heard of that. They play against the ladies in practice to help them defend and attack against physical opponents, am I right? Pretty sweet you get full benefits, though those girls probably aren't as good looking as the soccer chicks.

Im on a baseball road trip right now! I think showing that you can give pretty much all your time to school AND a sport shows commitment, ability to work on a tight schedule, and independence. And if adcomms or interviewers dont know that...tell them. Its one thing to be a school-study-sleep person and tear it up on tests and DATs, but to do all of that, shadow, work part time and play a collegiate sport? Rock on

Played varsity bball in highschool- does that count haha

Varsity Coors light beer drinking team. Taste the cold baby.

Lol, good one man. Makes me think of some of my other buddies who went to Texas Tech.... I think they majored in Alcoholics.

I went snowboarding like 4 times a week in the winter.. that count?

I played varsity baseball at Michigan for a year, some schools were really impressed by it, while some schools didn't even ask.

Played soccer at Virginia Tech

I manage a women's hockey team - get to skate with them, get the goodies, and go on roadtrips. its a great time:thumbup:

I've heard of that. They play against the ladies in practice to help them defend and attack against physical opponents, am I right? Pretty sweet you get full benefits, though those girls probably aren't as good looking as the soccer chicks.

lol everytime i tell someone im on the womens team
theyre like what the hell

but yup
i get free shoes, jerseys, shirts, shorts, priority for classes.

im not complainin

Four years varsity baseball at Maryland and drafted by the Pirates. The draft was brought up in all of my interviews, but mainly sports has just given me a low gpa and alot of sore arms. Wouldn't change it though. It's like someone before said....if you played sports and did well they will be impressed. If you played sports and did poorly they don't really care.

- 1AA football 1 yr - starter
- transfered and did cheerleading 3 more years winning 3 national championships - captain for 2 of em.

being a male cheerleader/gymnast, both my interviewers thought it was pretty cool.

Four years varsity baseball at Maryland and drafted by the Pirates. The draft was brought up in all of my interviews, but mainly sports has just given me a low gpa and alot of sore arms. Wouldn't change it though. It's like someone before said....if you played sports and did well they will be impressed. If you played sports and did poorly they don't really care.

and you are here why? lol

you mean doing well as far as school was concerned or how well your team did? i'm hoping our forwards lack of goal scoring won't be held against me. after all, i was a defender...

Played soccer at Virginia Tech

good for you, acc is a sick conference. i've played against boston college and nc state but thats it from acc. what happened to that nyarko kid is he playing mls?

mascot for a big school. did football, basketball (women's and men's), baseball, volleyball, and soccer...as well as other events. That's pretty much all I was asked about in my interviews. :cool:

mascot for a big school. did football, basketball (women's and men's), baseball, volleyball, and soccer...as well as other events. That's pretty much all I was asked about in my interviews. :cool:

Being the mascot is fun:thumbup: I've done it a few times myself:laugh:

you mean doing well as far as school was concerned or how well your team did? i'm hoping our forwards lack of goal scoring won't be held against me. after all, i was a defender...

Haha, I mean doing well in school of course. If it were up to our ACC record I might not ever get into dschool.