Student avma gazette: too many veterinarians.

Started by Saffine
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I think a simple first step would be to limit the crazy expansion of class sizes. Accreditation needs to be tied to the number of seats at a given institute. If a school wants to increase their number of seats, they need to propose the expansion and demonstrate their ability to support the additional seats as part of an accreditation review process before it can happen.

Once accredited there is nothing stopping a school from increasing their class sizes to levels that severely compromise student education until their next accreditation re-evaluation.
 
I'd rather just stop accrediting schools not in the US. Schools can argue that they are expanding classes to provide vets for their own state (that is what my school claims.)
 
I agree that schools should stop expanding their class size, but (as a student attending an outside the US school) I can't exactly agree with not accrediting schools not in the US. Some schools were accredited long before there was an oversupply of vets. But then...my argument is more based on the fact that I'm tied to an out of country school. So it's not a great rebuttal.