STUDENT DILEMMA ON CAREER PROSPECT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesSon

Reaction score
I just finished my premed in Nigeria. And my career plan God's willing is to become a neurosurgeon in USA. I got admitted for fall at Dnipro medical institute Ukraine and it's cheap. While also, I got accepted at California University of Pennsylvania for undergrade degree which will make me get USA credit, couple with MCAT then apply USA med school. But my major challenges is, USA education is costly and Going to Ukraine might make it difficult in getting into neurosurgery residency in USA. But what I've been considering is, I read how several Doctors in USA from Nigeria in same condition with me work study to support part scholarship and some worth were able to get some financial aid. I'm totally confused, can you give me your thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations - however, I cannot recommend you to come to the US and re-do the entire premed thing. Cost apart, you will be wasting four years in relearning something that you already know, assuming the definition of premed is the same in Nigeria, not to mention that it is absurdly hard for non-citizens to get into medical schools in the US.

Yeah, if you're an international student, you also won't qualify for FAFSA and will not even be able to afford attending medical schools at all. The very few of my international friends who got into medical school were through their school's BS/MD program. Even then, they are struggling with their financial situation.