Student Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justanothergrad

Counseling Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a meeting in a few days with a student to discuss resistance to incorporating feedback and direction for a research project. They are not my primary advisee but were referred to me so that I may take the lead in helping them publish from their data because my expertise in the method used and experience in publishing on the precise topic. The advisor and I had previously discussed conducting this very study several years before but never had the chance. While I've addressed this sort of resistance before to lesser degrees, this is the most overt and consistent that I've seen (responding to tell me I'm wrong without a citation to support their position and before reading the multiple articles I attached/cited to explain a particular analytic rationale, etc.). I've previously processed with the student several times about the discomfort they have about edits I've made to the writing. The student does not have a background of publications to demonstrate independent expertise in . I haven't yet reached out to their advisor but may.

I'm curious about how faculty members approach feedback to students when they need to address major issues like this / any hints from previous experience with

Members don't see this ad.

I’d first check to see if the student does the same thing in clinical contexts, if they’ve had pracs yet. If so, ignoring supervisor directives is an ethical violation and needs to get addressed.

I’d also consider if it rises to the level of letter of instruction or whatever the program has for directives. It sounds like the student has already had several conversations and hasn’t changed, so what’s another conversation going to do?

I’ve noticed a pattern across many programs that students who engage in questionable activities and behaviors have a long institutional lore of getting talking tos with no actual documented directives. Then when something more serious happens it looks like a first offense rather than the continuation of a longstanding pattern.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d first check to see if the student does the same thing in clinical contexts, if they’ve had pracs yet. If so, ignoring supervisor directives is an ethical violation and needs to get addressed.

I’d also consider if it rises to the level of letter of instruction or whatever the program has for directives. It sounds like the student has already had several conversations and hasn’t changed, so what’s another conversation going to do?

I’ve noticed a pattern across many programs that students who engage in questionable activities and behaviors have a long institutional lore of getting talking tos with no actual documented directives. Then when something more serious happens it looks like a first offense rather than the continuation of a longstanding pattern.
Some extra context, the student is not in my program and is a late stage trainee. So, some of the typical steps are a bit more removed. That said, I agree with you and so want to have a blunt conversation again first before backchanneling the advisor as I don't know the student, their style, or their past experiences. From other faculty in the program I spoke with before agreeing to work with the student, I've heard of no issues (or much of anything).