Student Government?

Started by bobthesun
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bobthesun

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So it's my junior year and i have been on student government as my class senator(one of only four elected positions for the class). and am on the student senate and the finance committee. Next year I would like to become the finance chair. And many people keep telling me to do it. I would love to do it but honestly would medical schools see being on the executive branch of the student government (3rd in charge) any better than just being your class senator? I would love to do it but not sure if the extra time would be worth it. It is the finance chairs job to sign all the checks to body of student government. plus go to the colleges budget meetings, etc
 
Either is fine and shows leadership. My opinion, pick the less strenuous route. If you haven't taken the MCAT yet, you need to have time to study for it if you plan on going straight to med school. If you want to take some time off, go all out and pick the one with more leadership. Your decision.
 
any more thoughts? basically although i do like doing it I know moving up will take up a lot more time and I am not sure if that would really be worth it. class senator and student government finance chair?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
any more thoughts? basically although i do like doing it I know moving up will take up a lot more time and I am not sure if that would really be worth it. class senator and student government finance chair?

If you feel that the time commitment would affect your grades/time with family/etc. then don't do it. If it's important to you or you're interested in it, then go ahead and do it.

From an admission standpoint, being the finance chair wouldn't really help tremendously unless you can talk passionately about it.

Your ECs are what you make of it.
 
So it's my junior year and i have been on student government as my class senator(one of only four elected positions for the class). and am on the student senate and the finance committee. Next year I would like to become the finance chair. And many people keep telling me to do it. I would love to do it but honestly would medical schools see being on the executive branch of the student government (3rd in charge) any better than just being your class senator? I would love to do it but not sure if the extra time would be worth it. It is the finance chairs job to sign all the checks to body of student government. plus go to the colleges budget meetings, etc

I was involved in SG in a very similar manner and I think it was fine. It's all about how you describe and explain what you did.