Student has a question

Started by monaarts
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

monaarts

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
I'm new here, although I have been looking at posts for a couple of weeks now. Anyway, I have been thinking about going to school to either become a Cardio or Neuro Surgeon.. I have been looking very deeply into either career and have found myself absolutely infactuated with each.
What I need to know though, is if it is likely for me to be able to get accepted into a med school (hopefully a decent one atleast) and more importantly into a residency (also a decent one hopefully)... Here is my situation... I dropped out of HS about 4 years ago because it wasn't my thing... Since then, I have matured MUCH more and decided to get my GED about a year ago and go to college. I have attented a community college in Georgia for the last 4 months just until I figured out what I truely wanted to goto school for... I am going to transfer to Richard Stockton College in New Jersey for atleast one semester and then I may try to get into UMDNJ after than to finish my BA degree... Like I said, I have been thinking about doing either a cardio or a neuro surgeon. I have a VERY strong work ethic though.. for example I have a 3.85 GPA right now and I am used to working about 70-90 hours a week (hey, thats the restaurant business for you).
So please tell me what you think the odds of me being able to get into a medical school (is a good one possible??) and a residency (is a good one possible) afterwards... Thank you in advance.



-Joe
 
You'll get better answers in the pre-allopathic forum (if you haven't done it already). Good luck !
 
I'm sure your patients would love to know that their neurosurgeon has a GED and went to community college. Get a life bro and stop wasting your time. You aren't smart enough to be a doctor- this is evidenced by your educational history.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
snorebel said:
I'm sure your patients would love to know that their neurosurgeon has a GED and went to community college. Get a life bro and stop wasting your time. You aren't smart enough to be a doctor- this is evidenced by your educational history.
Tool.
 
monaarts said:
Hey everyone,
I'm new here, although I have been looking at posts for a couple of weeks now. Anyway, I have been thinking about going to school to either become a Cardio or Neuro Surgeon.. I have been looking very deeply into either career and have found myself absolutely infactuated with each.
What I need to know though, is if it is likely for me to be able to get accepted into a med school (hopefully a decent one atleast) and more importantly into a residency (also a decent one hopefully)... Here is my situation... I dropped out of HS about 4 years ago because it wasn't my thing... Since then, I have matured MUCH more and decided to get my GED about a year ago and go to college. I have attented a community college in Georgia for the last 4 months just until I figured out what I truely wanted to goto school for... I am going to transfer to Richard Stockton College in New Jersey for atleast one semester and then I may try to get into UMDNJ after than to finish my BA degree... Like I said, I have been thinking about doing either a cardio or a neuro surgeon. I have a VERY strong work ethic though.. for example I have a 3.85 GPA right now and I am used to working about 70-90 hours a week (hey, thats the restaurant business for you).
So please tell me what you think the odds of me being able to get into a medical school (is a good one possible??) and a residency (is a good one possible) afterwards... Thank you in advance.



-Joe

Monaarts,

Please don’t listen to snorebel, his post was completely disrespectful and not appropriate on this discussion board – I only hope that he is more empathetic with his patients. Having a GED or going to a community college will not hold you back from getting into medical school or becoming a neurosurgeon. I have a very good friend who has a GED and no college education and I consider him more intelligent than most neurosurgeons I know and he makes more money than a neurosurgeon ever would.

Step 1 is to get into a 4 year university and do well on all your pre-req classes and the MCAT.

Step 2 is to do well in medical school and match for a residency. These residency programs wont even look at much before med school so don’t sweat it.

You have a very long road ahead of you so don’t set your mind specifically on neurosurgery or cardiothoracic surgery because you have 6+ years until you even have to decide on your specialty. Do well in school, work hard, and anything is attainable.

I recommend posting in the pre-allo forum since this forum wont help you very much.

Cheers