Student host or hotel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkenthesky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If cost is not an issue, what are y'all's general opinions on whether it's better to stay with a host or stay in a hotel/other accommodations? Pros/cons?

I feel like it would be nice to have the chance to chat with a current student, but I also feel like it might be more difficult to prepare the night before or it might be awkward to get ready at 6:30 in the morning in their apartment and not know where everything is and worry about waking people up, etc. I was planning on staying with a student host when possible but my parents were suggesting that staying in a hotel would be better because I could prepare the night before and get ready in peace, and it might be less stressful. Is this accurate/something to consider?

Members don't see this ad.

If cost is not an issue, what are y'all's general opinions on whether it's better to stay with a host or stay in a hotel/other accommodations? Pros/cons?

I feel like it would be nice to have the chance to chat with a current student, but I also feel like it might be more difficult to prepare the night before or it might be awkward to get ready at 6:30 in the morning in their apartment and not know where everything is and worry about waking people up, etc. I was planning on staying with a student host when possible but my parents were suggesting that staying in a hotel would be better because I could prepare the night before and get ready in peace, and it might be less stressful. Is this accurate/something to consider?
I think this is really up to you and your comforts. Personally, staying in someone else's house without a strong sense of privacy or seclusion actually really helps to put me in a more social mood which is great for interview day

Reactions: 1 user
I did both. Overall, hotels were less stressful for me, but that may be because I'm the type of person who likes their own space before big events. But, the host had its pros, namely that I could hear more about the school/interview day and get a better feeling for the area and what life as a student may be like. Overall, I think that the list of things that you are worried about (waking people up, etc.) shouldn't be that big of a concern; if they volunteered to host, they know what the commitment is.

You could always base it on the structure of the interview day. Is there a dinner with students the night before and ample time for you to chat with students during the interview? Hotel could make sense. Is the interview a quick "get in, get out" deal and you may not have much time with current students? You might lean towards a host.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If cost is not an issue, go to a hotel. It takes a lot of time and energy to find hosts for all students and a student that really cant afford the hotel may miss out because there are a limited number of hosts. I had a great time with a host at my last interview, but he told me how difficult it was finding only 3 other people to host students. Don't take up limited resources you don't need.

Reactions: 2 users
I did both when I interviewed and I did hotels for all except my first. Interview day is pretty stressful and no matter how hard you try, anxiety will always creep up on you. My honest reasoning for hotel over host:

1. You can poop in peace. Seriously.
2. You will meet tons of students anyways during interview day (at least you should).
3. You can check into a hotel at any time while if you arrive at strange hours (which was my case at times) it will inconvenience the host.
4. For the most part, med student are poor, meaning you will likely be sleeping on an air mattress or couch and be sharing a bathroom in the evening and morning.
5. I felt awkward being at a new place with a stranger and wanting food, but not wanting to be a nuisance (since the host would presumably be driving for food or I would be eating their food).
6. You can poop in peace in the morning before your interview. Seriously. Anxiety poops are real.

Also, student schedules do not always line up with interview day schedules meaning you will likely be hanging around the med school for some time (can be hours) before the interview actually starts since your student host needed to be at school earlier for class.

Reactions: 3 users
I did both when I interviewed and I did hotels for all except my first. Interview day is pretty stressful and no matter how hard you try, anxiety will always creep up on you. My honest reasoning for hotel over host:

1. You can poop in peace. Seriously.
2. You will meet tons of students anyways during interview day (at least you should).
3. You can check into a hotel at any time while if you arrive at strange hours (which was my case at times) it will inconvenience the host.
4. For the most part, med student are poor, meaning you will likely be sleeping on an air mattress or couch and be sharing a bathroom in the evening and morning.
5. I felt awkward being at a new place with a stranger and wanting food, but not wanting to be a nuisance (since the host would presumably be driving for food or I would be eating their food).
6. You can poop in peace in the morning before your interview. Seriously. Anxiety poops are real.

Also, student schedules do not always line up with interview day schedules meaning you will likely be hanging around the med school for some time (can be hours) before the interview actually starts since your student host needed to be at school earlier for class.

Profile photo checks out.

Reactions: 3 users
I think this is really up to you and your comforts. Personally, staying in someone else's house without a strong sense of privacy or seclusion actually really helps to put me in a more social mood which is great for interview day

I’m completely the opposite. That environment would drain me for the next day.

If you're planning trips like me, flying in, sleeping, interviewing, then flying back within 30 hours, then the constant commotion makes me really appreciate the reliability and privacy of a hotel.