Student Hosts- what to give them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarksideAllstar

you can pay me in bud
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what kinds of things one might give a student host to show your appreciation? I know some of the interviewees that stay with my med school roommates and I have brought some sort of wine, beer, etc. In my mind I ask, what if we don't drink? I would feel pretty bad getting someone a 'sixer if they don't partake in the pleasure of alcohol and I am too damn lazy to be original and make a handcrafted sweater for everyone that I stay with. How about some feedback! :)

Members don't see this ad.

i was wondering the same thing. if they don't drink, alcohol wouldn't be that great of a gift. i thought about taking some homemade cookies (or something along those lines) but if the host is diabetic or a health food freak, then that gift sucks too. the only sure-fire thing is money, which in my mind is incredibly tacky (and they're probably told not to accept monetary gifts anyway).
so, the question remains: what's a good gift? also, has anyone gone out on the town w/ their host? that would provide the opportunity to at least buy a round or two.

How about something that is really flexible, like a gift certificate to a local bookstore or a movie theater? Or an Amazom.com gift certificate, which could be used for virtually anything... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good ideas, AmateurChef! Why don't you offer to cook them a great dinner? Tulane suggests that you take your host out to dinner! :rolleyes: As if we're all rolling in dough with all the AMCAS and interview costs! I took my hosts Alaska flag mugs (hope they don't hate them!). I would think any small hostess type gift would do -- soap, notecards, fancy nuts come to mind.

Well, if the host is of the opposite sex (or the same sex, if you both swing that way), you could give them some luvvin'. That might be tacky too, though. And I'd imagine it's even more forbidden than money.

Hey pre-hawk-
Usually we do take the interviewees out to dinner, bars, etc. Most of them are so stressed about their interviews that they choose to go to bed early, so we go out without them. And I hate to say this but MSTP interviewees tend to stay 3 nights which is a bit too long!

I bought my host a 12-pack, popcorn & rented a movie. He had mentioned that we should pick up a movie, and I said "cool, my treat". I didn't just show up at his doorstep with all this. Just make sure that whatever you "do" for your host, it should not consume his/her time...unless he/she is free.

Gift certificate for Starbucks Coffee!!!

How about a gift certificate for the University Medical Bookstore, with a few things particular from your hometown (mugs; shawl etc.) Assuming they are poor medical students, the gift certificate can always come in handy for medical equipment etc.

Tweetie

I've hosted a couple of interviewees and I do not expect them to give/bring me anything. I think just sincerely saying "thanks" is enough. One of the reasons I host, and I think this is true for most hosts, is to alleviate the need for interviewees to pay an arm & a leg at a hotel. So, it kinda defeats the purpose of interviewees saving money if they then spend a lot on the host to thank them. If you want to do something, make it small (inexpensive) - a thank you card is more than enough.

I was waiting for someone to pipe up like BeckyG. thank you! The hosts I spoke to told me that they were helped out by hosts the previous year, they appreciated what they did for them and want to do the same for prospective students. Sorta tradition.

The best thing is to sincerely appreciate their offering, be interested in their school when they talk about it (obviously you are if you are interviewing the following day) and make things convenient for them while you're there so the tradition of hosting lives on.
SwampMan's suggestion of paying for stuff you guys do together (movie, dinner, pool, theater, skydiving... ) seems like the best way to go about it. I've also dropped them emails after the interview thanking them for it.

I gave student I stayed with some nice stationary thinking they she could probably use it and it would be a nice gesture...that way she could write friends/family....

HHHHHHMMMMMMMMM.... The thing is that you can not get something from them until you meet them and know what type of person they are. So basically you have to get them a gift once you're at the school. I usually send them a thank you card expressing my gratitude.

"You have to lose so you can win"

Members don't see this ad :)
To show your appreciation: when you become a med student (and all of us will!!!), become a host yourself. If Heaven is willing, I will be a host all four years of med school if I get the chance!

Just something I thought about when I be host:

1. take my interviewee out for a meal
2. give him/her a tour of the school personally
3. give him/her a one-sheet itemized good things about MY school (It's MY school, there shall be NO bad things!) LOL
4. to be added when I think about this some more

I have stayed with two different sets of students at two different schools. Since I work full time, I have offered each time to buy dinner when I show up. The first one declined due to the need to study, while the second pair took me up on it (I did have to insist).

I also have sent them both thank you notes.

I get the impression that they are doing this to be ambassadors for their schools and that they are not expecting payback. Returning the favor the next couple or years, etc. is a good idea as well.

I was extremely impressed by my one of my hosts, that just like Drako I decided that I'll try to be like that while in med school. Though I think a gift is a good idea that does an awesome job of showing appreciation. It must be so much of a sacrifice for them. They're successfully past all that painful application stuff; and are still reaching back to help the little guy currently in their old boat. Several of them even host while actually in the middle of exams and all that other crazy stuff. Believe it or not, that certainly takes a whole lot.

I got my host at Tufts a Rocher (sp?) chocolate "box", which costs about 10 bucks but they are REALLY yummy and great for snacking during cramming sessions.

Here's a tip, Daredevil. Buy nutella. It's pretty much the same stuff in a Rocher (sp?). Spread it on white bread. It's cheaper and very good!

I can't exactly give my host a nutella sandwich now, can I? Besides, it will get all mushy and squished on the bus. ;)

It probably goes without saying, but for those who don't think about things like this I will say for them... A great gift is to make sure you leave a nice clean area where you slept, make sure bed is made, shower area is left clean and dishes are washed and put away. A bad guest that leaves a mess is an unwelcome intrusion and will cause a host to think twice about hosting another student.

This is of course assuming that the host student keeps his home clean. :p

A small token gift that is small, cheap and easily packed, but usable everywhere is a phone card. Our grocery store sells a 25 minute one for only $5.00.

I stayed with a student host back in november. We went out on the town and I ended getting him a couple of lap dances at a strip joint. I thought it was a great way to say thank you. He did seem appreciative.

No, Daredevil! It was a tip for YOU :D .

That would be kinda funny, though.

simpleton- haha, i'm sure that has actually happened. and that makes me shake my head with disgrace that two individuals planning on devoting their career to such a noble and respectable career would do that.. and that I never thought of it. :D