Quantcast

Student Hosts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZekeMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most schools offer a list of student hosts? If anyone has tried this, would you recommend it? I think it could be beneficial to meet a student ahead of time, that you can talk to regarding the school. Not to mention is saves $$$ on a hotel room.

acab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I stayed with a student host when I interviewed at Rochester. I highly recomend it. You get to know the student's perspectives on the school, housing, attitude, etc...

I loved my experience at Rochester and my student host welcomed me with open arms.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yeah its the only way i am doing things.

even at places that dont have hosts.....i explained to the school what it was and they said they would try and hook up something but nothing was guaranteed....

i dont mind sleeping in a closet or anything like that. give me free room and ill get you nasty drunk on me!

for the schools that have hosting programs they do give you a list.

now if only the davis one was updated....

bufer1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After staying in hotels for my first 4 interviews, im trying to stay with a student host at cornell. they told me they would send me a list of students but they seem to have forgotten or are unable to. has anyone stayed with a host at cornell, if so, how was it? saving some money by avoiding those expensive manhatten hotels must be reason enough to stay with them...

spumoni620

.:good girl down:.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
staying with a student is definitely the way to go...i asked this question myself at first b/c i was worried i wouldn't get enough rest/sleep well/face weird situations, etc. but it worked out. yes, some places might be, um, quite messy (at one place i stayed at there were unwashed clothes all over the bed, but i cleared my little place and was thankful that i at least had a bed :p) but you get invaluable info about the school/interviews from the host. all my hosts have always been really nice and open. if you're the type that wants to go out the nite before those avenues are usually open, but on the other hand there's no pressure and they're plenty understanding if you're a wimp like me :p and want to rest up before the big day. the only thing: don't expect them to transport you to and from the airport, provide meals, bedding, towels etc. (i.e. come prepared). after all, they're often really busy (one kind person hosted me even though she had an upcoming block exam!). plus, i would definitely send a note of thanks when you get back home.

most schools offer hosts...if they don't have info on their site i'd call and ask. sorry bufer1, don't know about cornell. but i'm sure there are plenty of folks who can help you out.

roundabout

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone stayed with a student host at upitt? i tried contacting a ms1 but she said that unfortunately this is their exam time. i then contacted the director of ms2 hosts, but no response. my interview is next week, should i just look for a hotel?

indiamacbean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You should try e-mailing the host coordinator again. The 2nd years just had their summative on Friday so probably more receptive to e-mail response. 1st years have two exams this week and two next week so probably a 2nd year host. good luck. what day is your interview?

PianoGirl04

living for tomorrow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a similar problem with hosting at UVa. I scheduled my interview about 2 months in advance and contacted one of the hosting coordinators ASAP (via email). Now I'm just over a week from my interview and haven't heard back from them...I think I'm going to call tomorrow and see what's up.

roundabout

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
indiamacbean,

thanks for the suggestion...i'll email the coordinator again. my interview is on monday 11/10 but i'll be flying there on the 8th and leaving on the 11th

acab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you plan to stay for more than 1 night, I suggest that you spend each night in a different student host's place. Just so that you don't impose too much. Most of the schools that offered student hosting asked for 1 night per host.