Student interested in premed with disability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bunnyfeet97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a 20 yr old college student who is interested in getting into the medical field. I have a huge interest in psychiatry, pediatrics, and cardiology. I need to do a lot of shadowing and getting as much experience as possible. However, I have never lost my startle reflex as a baby. So I jump easily to fast, sudden movements and certain noises. I'm not sure if this will affect my future career. My jumping is subtle but enough for people to notice, and I assume that I'd never be able to become a surgeon. Any advice ?
Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You can still be a doctor with your disability. I'd say that neurosurgery would be a little less likely lol. Shoot for the stars!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello, I'm a 20 yr old college student who is interested in getting into the medical field. I have a huge interest in psychiatry, pediatrics, and cardiology. I need to do a lot of shadowing and getting as much experience as possible. However, I have never lost my startle reflex as a baby. So I jump easily to fast, sudden movements and certain noises. I'm not sure if this will affect my future career. My jumping is subtle but enough for people to notice, and I assume that I'd never be able to become a surgeon. Any advice ?
Thank you so much!

Your condition doesn't preclude you from being a physician. Certain specialties like you said will probably be out of the picture, specifically any interventional specialty requiring a steady hand (all surgery, interventional radiology, interventional cardiology, etc). But the other fields you're interested in likely should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn’t seem to be something that would preclude you from working as a physician with reasonable accommodations (not sure any would be necessary in this situation)

I don't think this will be a big issue except for maybe in surgical fields...