Student interview weight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wind Up Bird

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a little different for every school, but I was wondering if anyone has insight on whether student interviews carry as much weight as faculty interviews, for the schools that have them.

Student interviews usually feel less formal, and the students themselves are often really informal (I had a student interviewer once who cursed several times throughout our conversation). But I remember someone said that at Tulane, student interviews carry as much weight as the faculty. Does anyone know about other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

At a recent interview (USC), the orientation speaker emphasized that the student interviews have the same weight as the faculty interviews. The AdCom includes the med students and decisions are made by secret ballot (so a med student vote counts the same as a faculty vote.)

Different schools have different policies. I know some where students have full voting rights on adcoms and others where student post-interview comments are weighted equal to that of faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
At all the schools that I interviewed at, student interviewers held as much weight as the faculty interviewers.

At VCU, my only interview was with a student. :eek: So, I would take any student interview that you have very seriously and act as you would with a faculty member.

The schools that I've been to: VCU, Tulane, Baylor, UT HSC San Antonio, Jefferson

I had a friend interview at U of MN-Twin Cities, and their student interviews carry as much weight as facultly interviews.

Hehe I thought this was going to be another one of those threads that is blaming getting rejected on based on the student's body weight.

But yeah most student interviews weigh just as much as a faculty interview.

Hehe I thought this was going to be another one of those threads that is blaming getting rejected on based on the student's body weight.

But yeah most student interviews weigh just as much as a faculty interview.

Yeah, me too! I thought it was going to be something about how much your student interviewer weighed so you could compare your chances if you were overweight haha

185. Do they really ask you that??

Actually height and body mass index are more important than weight at your interview.

Actually height and body mass index are more important than weight at your interview.
I would think percent body fat would trump BMI, but thats just my opinion. lol

I had one interview where they measured the circumference of my head and then my waist. They put that ratio into some equation and then told me that I was on the waitlist. I don't know if I should run on the treadmill or grow my hair out. HELP!

...and then told me that I was on the waitlist.

You mean "weightlist".
They have a tonnage cap in med school -- works sort of like salary cap in major league sports. They owe a steep financial penalty to the LCME if the total weight of matriculants is more than 5% greater than the med school average. So they walk a very fine line in how, and what BMI, they decide who to accept. If things don't go well, you are well advised to hire a trainer and show substantial improvement in your BMI for the subsequent year. Two belt sizes is (inversely) worth as much as 2 points on the MCAT for some schools. :)

From what I've seen from a lot of schools, the 4th year students are many times voting members themselves on the adcoms, so yes I'd say they carry just as much weight as anyone else.

From what I've seen from a lot of schools, the 4th year students are many times voting members themselves on the adcoms, so yes I'd say they carry just as much weight as anyone else.

It's more a function of who wants to get involved rather than year. I wouldn't put much stock in a 4th year student's vote being worth more than a 3rd year.

Bear in mind that a member of the adcom who interviews tends to be a more powerful vote than an interviewer who is not a member of the adcom. And a dean carries a lot of clout regardless of his voting power. Those are the only relevant distinctions between interviewers.