Student job application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a psych major and am just finishing up my third year. I have been contacting professors about summer student job positions, and several seem interested and have contacted me asking for information about my interests and skills. While talking about my interests is easy, I have no experience whatsoever in working for a prof (or in the psychology field) and really don't know what skills may be important to highlight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Mention the relevant courses you've taken. Emphasize research design classes, Stats, and whatever classes are relevant to their area of research (e.g., social, memory, clinical, physiological, whatever). Mention the computer programs that you're proficient with, with an emphasis on the ones they might use (common programs include Word, Excel, SPSS/SAS/R for stats, E-Prime or MEL for programming, any experience with other programming languages including HTML or website design...)

Also mention your general skills and experience working with people. You can also talk about any research projects you've conducted in classes.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the help! Looks like it was good advice, I've got a job lined up as research assistant. Woo hoo! :)