student loan deferment

Started by Homunculus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Homunculus

SDN Caveman Administrator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i've had to borrow a little cash during my medical education (stipend is barely enough for rent and insurance, let alone support a family, lol) and i was wondering if being active duty military helps with determining deferment status. i ran my numbers through a calculator on the northstar.org website (i borrowed through the THE program) and using my military salary plus housing allowance and such, i don't qualify for a deferment.

anyway, any input on this will be appreciated 🙂
 
I am not sure if this will help you, but when I was on active duty, I automatically qualified for student loan deferment once I submitted the correct paperwork. These were undergrad loans though, and I was enlisted. I don't know if the same concessions are afforded to officers and grad loans.
 
after a bit of research, it looks like deferment/forebearance is pretty much automatic for residents. the active duty military thing is used as a criteria as well, but i'm not sure exactly how that would work seeing how some people would be AD military for like 20 years. i'll do some more research later, as teh computer i'm on at the moment isn't cooperating and letting me load the pages i *really* want to see.