How does civilian deferment work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadScientist95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a 3rd year Air Force HPSP medical student here interested in anesthesiology. So far, my board scores aren't the best but aren't too low. step 1-222 and level 1-544. We just had a meeting with our school and they said we need to have a good idea of what programs we want to apply to by halfway through next semester. I realize that there is only one anesthesiology residency in the Air Force at BAMC. While I would love to go there, I also wouldn't mind going to a civilian residency if I didn't match in the military. I realize that there is no guarantee I would get a civilian deferment but my question is, how does this whole process work? Is there something I need to fill out before I begin my audition rotations? And say that I received a civilian deferral and then fail to match, what would happen next? I think if I failed to match, I would rather go into internal medicine than a GMO tour so would it be possible to have that as a backup? I would also say, that the anesthesiology residency website at BAMC says "dozens of civilian deferrals are given to air force since there is only one residency." Not sure how true this is. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not Air Force so not entirely sure. But big picture stuff is that you are probably required to apply to active duty residencies first. If not selected there then your second choice can be anesthesia deferment. After that your 3rd/4th/5th choices may be able to be Internal Medicine at active duty locations.

The tough part with "planning/hoping for a deferment" is that you have to do rotations at these institutions which aren't always possible or paid for. You may also be giving up valuable time auditioning at active duty residencies but since there is only one active duty program you may be in luck.

Hopefully an Air Force person can solidify the details here.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently a 3rd year Air Force HPSP medical student here interested in anesthesiology. So far, my board scores aren't the best but aren't too low. step 1-222 and level 1-544. We just had a meeting with our school and they said we need to have a good idea of what programs we want to apply to by halfway through next semester. I realize that there is only one anesthesiology residency in the Air Force at BAMC. While I would love to go there, I also wouldn't mind going to a civilian residency if I didn't match in the military. I realize that there is no guarantee I would get a civilian deferment but my question is, how does this whole process work? Is there something I need to fill out before I begin my audition rotations? And say that I received a civilian deferral and then fail to match, what would happen next? I think if I failed to match, I would rather go into internal medicine than a GMO tour so would it be possible to have that as a backup? I would also say, that the anesthesiology residency website at BAMC says "dozens of civilian deferrals are given to air force since there is only one residency." Not sure how true this is. Thanks!
How did everything pan out for you? I am in a somewhat similar spot but Army HPSP and curious about civilian deferment. Thanks!