Student loan question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creightonite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do banks actually ask to show proof of citizenship/residency during application process? I never applied for a student loan so I was wondering if this was nessasary for getting a loan.

Members don't see this ad.

Creightonite said:
Do banks actually ask to show proof of citizenship/residency during application process? I never applied for a student loan so I was wondering if this was nessasary for getting a loan.

FAFSA verifies if you are a valid permanent resident resident through the Department of Homeland Security. I'm not sure how they verify U.S. citizens.

how about private loans from banks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, good question. They do ask if you're a US Citizen or permanent resident. But how they verify, I'm not sure.

A while back before I became a permanent resident, I applied for a mortgage and indicated that I was neither a US citizen nor a permanent resident. I was approved for the loan, but after the closing, I looked at the documents and it indicated that I was a US citizen (the documents were prepared by my real estate agent prior to the closing). Anyway, there was no hitch with the loan and the bank did not require a proof of citizenship.

So with student loans, who knows.

for my private loan I had to submit a copy of my residency card