Student loan question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Creightonite

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do banks actually ask to show proof of citizenship/residency during application process? I never applied for a student loan so I was wondering if this was nessasary for getting a loan.
 
Creightonite said:
Do banks actually ask to show proof of citizenship/residency during application process? I never applied for a student loan so I was wondering if this was nessasary for getting a loan.

FAFSA verifies if you are a valid permanent resident resident through the Department of Homeland Security. I'm not sure how they verify U.S. citizens.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmmm, good question. They do ask if you're a US Citizen or permanent resident. But how they verify, I'm not sure.

A while back before I became a permanent resident, I applied for a mortgage and indicated that I was neither a US citizen nor a permanent resident. I was approved for the loan, but after the closing, I looked at the documents and it indicated that I was a US citizen (the documents were prepared by my real estate agent prior to the closing). Anyway, there was no hitch with the loan and the bank did not require a proof of citizenship.

So with student loans, who knows.
 
for my private loan I had to submit a copy of my residency card