Student loan repayment strategy for dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadaRada

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just graduated from med school. I was wondering how everyone opted to pay off their student loans. Given that many dermatology residents go into private practice after training (my plan as of right now), how likely is it to actually get PSLF? I borrowed 150k in total - currently deciding between income-driven repayment vs. private refinancing. Would love to learn what derm residents/attending typically do. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Take your time figuring it out and hedge your bets in REPAYE (due to the interest subsidy). Consolidate federal loans into one loan to attempt to get out of the grace period ASAP. Interest is 0% anyway until September so you might as well have these months count for you as payments of $0.

Reactions: 1 users
I think everyone's individual financial situation is different. I did REPAYE until I got married (in which case I couldn't do REPAYE anymore), then refinanced into private loans (and refinanced a few times afterwards to get even lower rates). I know lots of people still on the PSLF plan even as attendings, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for taking the time to answer!