Student Loan Situation Advice-- What to do, what to do?

Started by MexicanDr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MexicanDr

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone-

Quick question:

I have ~50K on student loans (Federal) from my undergraduate degree; a couple of them in default already. I am going to start Graduate school this Summer/Fall 2015.

I have been thinking about consolidating my student loans to get out of default and start making payments; as a matter of fact I was about to do it a few weeks ago when I thought about my Grad school cost. I will be requiring some student loans for graduate school, approximately ~50K.

If I consolidate my undergrad student loans, can I then consolidate my grad school loans with my undergrad loans? I want to fix this undergrad loan issue and the best way to do it is by consolidating. I am doing midlevel for my graduate education, so that will be a two year wait.

What do you recommend ?

Thanks in advance
 
Talk to financial aid but I don't think your are getting approved for gradplus loans if you had recent defaults on student loans
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have applied to both NP and PA; Once the admission decisions are completed then I will decide which route to take.
Let me know when you do decide. I had a choice of similar path and will be curious to here someone else's choice.