• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

gstrub

15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I understand you can deduct interest pain on student loans. So lets say that after all my taxes are filed I am getting a return of $500. If I then pay $1000 in interest (before 12/31), will I get all that back on my return?

yadayadadude

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
No. It's a deduction, not a credit. Assuming you meet income requirements (which, as a fellow, you probably do; do you have a high earning spouse?), you can deduct the $1000 in interest paid (up to $2500) from the income that is used to calculate the taxes you owe (AGI). So you'll save something like an additional $200-300, depending on your income tax bracket.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
yaya
is completely correct.
It comes down to understanding the difference between a tax credit (better) and a tax deduction (still cool, but not AS good). This is why I try to always pay enough on my loans each year to get up to the complete amount of interest I can deduct (I think it's either 2k or $2500).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.